Gate Valves / Ball Valves ?

Michele

I have been reading everything I can in the forum and on line about the two valves used in plumbing.
Gate valves seems like the better choice in sections of the plumbing to regulate the flow but at the hardware stores I have only been able to find Ball Valves. And I have also read that there are two designs of Ball Valves.

Is the Gate Valve something I can only get by ordering online?

Just reading everything there is on sumps, skimmers, lights, and plumbing to start this tank up incase things need to be ordered on line. Would rather do one big order. Going to be building the Herbie design with my pre drill tank.

heath

Distinguished Member
check out my build, I used both gate and ball valves. I ordered all of my stuff from Reef Supply.ca, depending how much you spend it is free shipping and talk with sewerat, he did my plumbing and he is a great guy and will give you all of the info on how he did it, it was done is such a way that if I every choice to sell the system it all comes completely apart and the plumbing can be re-used..all of the valves are threaded not glued..easy to take apart for cleaning if needed..this is were I was not thrifty, I live in an apartment and I sure didn't want to have a knock on my door that the tank flooded the apartment below me..

Reefshaun

Gate valves are better to throttle flow etc. you will have trouble finding gate valves at the harder stores. Try a pool supply place. There's a discount one in Kitchener on Manitou. Found therprices not bad for anything over 1 1/4".

Michele

check out my build, I used both gate and ball valves. I ordered all of my stuff from Reef Supply.ca, depending how much you spend it is free shipping and talk with sewerat, he did my plumbing and he is a great guy and will give you all of the info on how he did it, it was done is such a way that if I every choice to sell the system it all comes completely apart and the plumbing can be re-used..all of the valves are threaded not glued..easy to take apart for cleaning if needed..this is were I was not thrifty, I live in an apartment and I sure didn't want to have a knock on my door that the tank flooded the apartment below me..

I really like the idea of them being threaded vs. glued, I looked at your build and like how clean everything was. Thanks :)

Gate valves are better to throttle flow etc. you will have trouble finding gate valves at the harder stores. Try a pool supply place. There's a discount one in Kitchener on Manitou. Found therprices not bad for anything over 1 1/4".

I'll check that place out, thanks :)

heath

Distinguished Member
this site is really expanding, dr scubasteve and you can be our resident plumbing and I think that we have an electrician here as well..we are all set...lol

MrHermit85

True union ball valves are the better ball valves, and the better ones of those are serviceable, they allow you to take things apart without cutting pipes.

This is true, the true union ball valves are the better type. With the added union it is a breeze to service and clean. Although they are better than the usual ball valves you find in the hardware stores you can't beat the gate valve if you are needing it for fine tuning a drain that needs to be run at a full syphon. You can purchase either at most plumbing supply stores, the one I use is plascowelding just outside of london.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Unions, union ball valve, slip thread bulk heads, one spears gate valve, and a plethora of elbows, fittings and approx 30-40' of your desired pipe size. And if you want it silent. Drill two more holes. Trust me. If you like the sound of a gurgling drain then fine. If you just like the gentle sound of a waterfall then bean animal

Union, union ball valves can be found at local lowes stores but bulkheads and gate valve need to be ordered.

Michele

Unions, union ball valve, slip thread bulk heads, one spears gate valve, and a plethora of elbows, fittings and approx 30-40' of your desired pipe size. And if you want it silent. Drill two more holes. Trust me. If you like the sound of a gurgling drain then fine. If you just like the gentle sound of a waterfall then bean animal

Union, union ball valves can be found at local lowes stores but bulkheads and gate valve need to be ordered.

So if I go the bean animal would the Lfs that I originally bought it from drill the other two holes in the tank for me? Guess I can call them and ask.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
No real functional difference between a Herbie and a Bean just the third emergency drain that in most scenarios will never see water....

A Bean, properly built, has its main water flowing down the siphon and a little bit down the secondary and nothing down the emergency. So at that point it is functionally identical to a Herbie both in flow and noise level.

100gallon

I love my bean. I have my return up over the top as well. My bean used a 1.5 inch ball. ..purely out of cost savings. My return manifold uses gates. Nice to fine tune with.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

100gallon

Second that!! Best place ever!! Very helpful staff there....and I'm pretty sure the largest selection of pvc pieces you can find.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk