Getting back into the hobby, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phaythe

Hello folks,

I am getting back into the hobby and will be buying a used setup this weekend.

This is what I'm picking up:

90 gallon tank with stand, sump  , filter, overflow, skimmer, heater, coralife pro

It's a running tank that someone is downgrading.

The seller is including the live sand. I have about 100 lbs of dead live rock from my previous setup.

My questions:

1) do I take his used live sand? Or would I be better off buying new? (Or can I just clean it?)

2) I will need to wash my dead rock and bring them back to life - should I do this outside of the tank?

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

spyd

Super Active Member
I would not use his live sand. I would rather buy new than inherit some potential issues. Lots of nitrates built up, etc. in there and die-off when the tank is shutdown. As for the dead rock, I would soak it in RO water for a few days. Check the phosphate levels, etc. If they are present, then dump the water and soak again. Keep checking until the values are 0. You should be good to go at that point.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
where are you storing the dry rock? if atal possible, before you go and do spyds suggestion, which by the way i second 100%... you should place it in the sun for a couple days... even 2-3 and it will bleach, instantly.... that way your 100% certain theres nothing on it...
just my 5 cents...

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
If you really want clean rock... Get a tote and a bottle of straight bleach.  Let it sit in that for a week.  Cahnge teh water out with freshwater.  let sit for a day, change water again. Lay it all out int he sun for a week. 

There will be no organic anythgin left on the rock.  When its in the freshwater you can also hit it with PRIME or water conditioner to make sure the chlorine/bleach is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.