GFO &/or carbon reactors during cycle?

MrHermit85

As the title states, I would like to know what your opinions are with regards to running media during the cycle and why? I am only talking about GFO and Carbon...

Thanks all!!!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Wouldn't run either during cycle. If anything run biopellets from day one.

Once you see hair algae after cycle is complete ads some clean up crew. If hair algae persists then run gfo. I would not run carbon until you are ready for livestock, run it a week or 2 then add livestock.

This is what I would do.

MrHermit85

unibob link said:
Wouldn't run either during cycle. If anything run biopellets from day one.

Once you see hair algae after cycle is complete ads some clean up crew. If hair algae persists then run gfo. I would not run carbon until you are ready for livestock, run it a week or 2 then add livestock.

This is what I would do.

Thanks Unibob!!! You are really into your biopellets hey! I am still considering them.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I'm not into them lol, I don't even run bio pellets.

I would do thinks differently on my next tank compared to one I have now.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I agree with unibob. Adding gfo and carbon will strip your water from day one. Let your tank do what it needs to do and find its place, then tweak levels to where you want them. 

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

MrHermit85

Torx link said:
I agree with unibob. Adding gfo and carbon will strip your water from day one. Let your tank do what it needs to do and find its place, then tweak levels to where you want them. 

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Sound advice! I shall wait until after the cycle the!

reefin

Running GFO and carbon are not necessary at the beginning as stated above as you are just wasting $$$ but in the 4th week if you are looking at running GFO I would start it then as it will start to work on any phosphates that may be leaching from any hidden source and you will not have to worry about any HA on your start up like so many of us did. Now carbon is not really necessary at all if you are working on a budget. I wouldn't even worry about it till the tank is up and running for about 4 months as it is used as a water polisher and you can make the determination much later down the road and not at start up. Also when you do start running carbon it will only be running 2 to 3 weeks out of 6 as the carbon is exhausted after 2 weeks anyway. I change out my carbon and GFO on a 6 week schedule and it seems to be working great. As far as bio-pellets if you are looking at running these I would start right as soon as you put water in the tank as it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get them working with the bacteria. This is the way I started my 90 gallon and it has work out awesome.  ;D   

MrHermit85

reefin link said:
Running GFO and carbon are not necessary at the beginning as stated above as you are just wasting $$$ but in the 4th week if you are looking at running GFO I would start it then as it will start to work on any phosphates that may be leaching from any hidden source and you will not have to worry about any HA on your start up like so many of us did. Now carbon is not really necessary at all if you are working on a budget. I wouldn't even worry about it till the tank is up and running for about 4 months as it is used as a water polisher and you can make the determination much later down the road and not at start up. Also when you do start running carbon it will only be running 2 to 3 weeks out of 6 as the carbon is exhausted after 2 weeks anyway. I change out my carbon and GFO on a 6 week schedule and it seems to be working great. As far as bio-pellets if you are looking at running these I would start right as soon as you put water in the tank as it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get them working with the bacteria. This is the way I started my 90 gallon and it has work out awesome.  ;D   

Thanks Reefin! I have the reactors and media already but it would be nice not to waste it unnessicarily
If I had to run biopellets could I simply run GFO and biopellets and skip the carbon?

reefin

Yes you can skip the carbon and at a later date if ya think it will help for what ever the reason you can add it then!
:D

MrHermit85

reefin link said:
Yes you can skip the carbon and at a later date if ya think it will help for what ever the reason you can add it then!

Hmm now you have me thinking. Don't biopellets need stronger flow though? I only have a maxijet 1200 powering 2 reactors...

MrHermit85

reefin link said:

Hmm now you have me thinking. Don't biopellets need stronger flow though? I only have a maxijet 1200 powering 2 reactors...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
[quote author=reefin link=topic=5575.msg53291#msg53291 date=1370812495]

[/quote]

that might not work, as pellets, gfo and carbon all require different tumble/flow rates.
a used mj pump would cost you 15$... i might even have a spare laying around for you

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
[quote author=reefin link=topic=5575.msg53291#msg53291 date=1370812495]

[/quote]

that might not work, as pellets, gfo and carbon all require different tumble/flow rates.
a used mj pump would cost you 15$... i might even have a spare laying around for you

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reefin link said:
you can run your GFO off the return and run the pellets separate off the MJ 1200

Even better
OR,
Here's  another idea, run a line from the Mj  to the gfo reactor, but T off that line for the bio pellets, that way they are not inline so u can control the flow of each reactor separately

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reefin link said:
you can run your GFO off the return and run the pellets separate off the MJ 1200

Even better
OR,
Here's  another idea, run a line from the Mj  to the gfo reactor, but T off that line for the bio pellets, that way they are not inline so u can control the flow of each reactor separately