GFO

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Who regenerates their HC GFO, What do you use? Do you have any issues?
I use Home Hardware brand bulk lye, the MSDS doesn't list any other chemicals but doesn't state that it is 100%.
It seems to work and I don't have any issues, I pay about $20 for 3 kg of lye.
Just wondering what OP are using.

Boga

Interesting. Did not know that GFO can be regenerated.

I checked another MSDS from Fisher Scientific. Their product has Sodium Hydroxide (>95%), Sodium Carbonate (<3%), and it still not making 100%. There is a big chance that there are traces of Potassium Hydroxide and Potassium Carbonate. Sodium and Potassium are "close" metals.

Another byproduct from manufacturing process can be Sodium Chloride, so there might be traces of this, too.

Whatever I listed above should be safe for regeneration.

I am not sure if any traces of chlorine, hypochlorite or similar are present.  :-[ I would say that even if there are, they will be consumed or washed out after reaction.

If any other heavy metals are present, I do not think that they would replace the Iron in GFO.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
curiousphil link said:
Seems like a lot of work to save a few bucks... and time is valuable...

It's not a lot of work, it sits in a bucket for 72 hrs, I like to rinse mine in stages to allow it to leach for a while.
I hate paying big bucks for RUST.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
need to keep the old used stuff :) I will take it off your hands if you want.... I am building a collection to regenerate at least 5 gallon pail at a time.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Neopimp link said:
need to keep the old used stuff :) I will take it off your hands if you want.... I am building a collection to regenerate at least 5 gallon pail at a time.

I'll stick to my 500ml a month.
What are you using for sodium hydroxide?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I use the Home Hardware lye as well.  For the few bucks it costs, it's easier than bringing caustic solution home from work...

When its due to recharge, I just pull the reactor off the tank and swap it for the second that I have recharged.  Never open it or mess around with the media.  I recharge about three or four times until the particle size starts to get too small.

Boga

You folks are doing any testing for phosphate in the final solution? Or just follow the process?

Any idea what is the difference between GFO and HC-GFO? Other than absorption capacity. Porosity, size, chemical composition? What makes it high capacity?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Neopimp link said:

I'll find something to start saving mine for you in.  Heh, to me 'lye' and 'sensitive reef tank'  don't mix :)    However, I'd be happy if it's not just going in the trash :)

Boga

Remember 30 years ago, good recording tapes. You would not throu those in the trash :) . Just little bit pH raiser :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=6527.msg64023#msg64023 date=1381608829]

I'll find something to start saving mine for you in.  Heh, to me 'lye' and 'sensitive reef tank'  don't mix :)    However, I'd be happy if it's not just going in the trash :)
[/quote]

Lye is just Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), so even if you did a lousy job of rinsing, all you're going to put in your tank is a few sodium ions and if you use calcium chloride as a calcium source then they will just help to balance the chlorine ions.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
AdInfinitum link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=6527.msg65635#msg65635 date=1382629280]
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=6527.msg64023#msg64023 date=1381608829]

[/quote]

Lye is just Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), so even if you did a lousy job of rinsing, all you're going to put in your tank is a few sodium ions and if you use calcium chloride as a calcium source then they will just help to balance the chlorine ions.
[/quote]

I dunno, I used to get rid of all my dead hookers (before I found Brandon's hooker removal service) with lye.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Boga link said:
You folks are doing any testing for phosphate in the final solution? Or just follow the process?

Any idea what is the difference between GFO and HC-GFO? Other than absorption capacity. Porosity, size, chemical composition? What makes it high capacity?

I just follow the process but with 50% more rinse to be safe.

You said it all, absorption capacity, porosity, size.