Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have no idea what this is and this is my only site. This has been growing for a while now and I am starting to notice flakes of it growing on adjacent rocks. Is this the good, the bad, or the ugly? It is a really nice purple that is not shown well in the pictures.

Pretty sure it is purple coralline, but thought I would reach out.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thank you for the reasurance there Krazykarl. I have a lot of red coralline lower in my tank and this looked 'spongier' so was not sure. Been reading some on coraline as I never really looked into it before. So far i have a really rich red growing and purple. Nice added color to the tank.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
If it's hard to the touch and doesn't come off without force applied it's coralline algae. If it rubs off with your finger there is a possibility it is red slime. How old is the tank? Is it base rock? Livestock in the tank? Many factors to consider. If it's fluffy or whatever could be sponge. I have light purple sponge growing Lower on my rocks... Touch it and see. Also, just a trick.... If u like the colour of it and want it to spread, scraping it and letting the flow of your water take the spores around will only allow it to grow! Coralline Is a much desired algae in salt water keeping IMO. Some have a hard time getting it to take off. I on the other hand have done this method and had great success...

Status
Not open for further replies.