Good Stores in Toronto

theyangman

Distinguished Member
So I will be travelling to Toronto this weekend I think, or maybe next. I was wondering if I could get some input from some members here on their favorite stores to check out. I have my own car so distance is not an issue I just want to make sure of the quality. I am after mainly coral and not so much fish, but inputs on both would be appreciated. Names and locations would great, I can mapquest the rest.

It will be an all day trip so I don't mind hitting 4-5 or even more stores.

Thanks in advance!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Dundas strip in Mississauga.

Reef raft, aquatic kingdom, r2o aquarium, big Al's, dragon aquarium.

Nicest shop I've seen has been coral reef shop in Burlington. 

Are you after frags or colonies?

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Bit of both, if I can afford the colony then sure, but sometimes that isn't always the cheapest/cost effective way to go.

Also Aquatic Kingdom seems shut down last time I was there (two weeks ago) did they simply move or did they close down for good?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yes if you are looking at dragon aquariums entry door, they are to the left of the building next door.

GirDance

unibob link said:
Dundas strip in Mississauga.

Reef raft, aquatic kingdom, r2o aquarium, big Al's, dragon aquarium.

Nicest shop I've seen has been coral reef shop in Burlington. 

Are you after frags or colonies?

HA!  This is exactly the trip that jeff.l and I planned out for our Toronto trip last month...

I've been meaning to check out coral reef shop... Perhaps I should get out there sooner rather than later!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Coral reef shop is clean and crisp. They stock some good stuff. All there tanks are lit by LED....you walk in and it's like an arcade everything is glowing saying come look at me, they have some killer nano aquariums.

Always have nice frags available.

For colonies I would hit up ReefRaft for something special or r2o aquariums if your looking for more bread and butter.
And if you feel like driving to North American Fish Breeders in Scarbourough or SUM in Markam, they usually have unusual fish.

GirDance

unibob link said:
Coral reef shop is clean and crisp. They stock some good stuff. All there tanks are lit by LED....you walk in and it's like an arcade everything is glowing saying come look at me, they have some killer nano aquariums.

Always have nice frags available.

For colonies I would hit up ReefRaft for something special or r2o aquariums if your looking for more bread and butter.
And if you feel like driving to North American Fish Breeders in Scarbourough or SUM in Markam, they usually have unusual fish.

Love those LEDs :)  Will be nice to see what stuff may look like once I get it home :D  So far most things have changed colours quite a bit after I got them home and get them under the LEDs...  Most cases its a good thing, but on occassion has been a bit irritating when you really like the colour it WAS when you first saw it LOL

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Hmm I thought that dragon aquarium WAS the last building on the left side in that plaza. I guess I will have to sniff around come the weekend.

Jewel

Funny, nobody mentioned Oakville Reef Gallery, They sell Colonies and Frags and if you pay cash They'll give you a deal. Maybe their all like that. Reef Raft has nice stuff too but you'll pay for it too. Coral Reef in Burlington is good too and super nice people, I wouldn't waste my time and gas to go to NAFB. You can do well at Dragon Aquarium, You never know what they've got on sale and they like to haggle.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
North American fish breeder is the best spot for deals. 40$ a colony or 3 for 100$. Store massive. River 2 oceans is a  great place for fish or if you're into zoas they usually do  a 30% off deals. There's a few little crappy shops that will probably have nothing you want. I would definitely make the drive the NAFB. Oakville is a rip off more then any other store I've been too. They charged me 85$ for a tlf 550 reactor.

Jewel

AS far as NAFB is concerned, Yes you're right 3 Colonies for 100 is great if you get there early on their sale day other than that it's slim pickins for that special Coral. And there's a lot of other choices for stores that are closer. Once you get there what else is around there? If it's Frags you're looking for, then there's lots of members with quality stuff, Like Darryl and T-bone and Derek and many more.

AdamS

Reeffreak, a tlf550 is $79 at IA, so I wouldnt say $85 is that bad... Although I think they are only $59 at BRS.

Not that I am advocating any of the Toronto stores, never been to any of them.  I agree Derek has/had some nice frags  ;D

reeffreak

Super Active Member
AdamS link said:
Reeffreak, a tlf550 is $79 at IA, so I wouldnt say $85 is that bad... Although I think they are only $59 at BRS.

Not that I am advocating any of the Toronto stores, never been to any of them.  I agree Derek has/had some nice frags  ;D

IA isn't even in my list of stores to shop any anymore for many different reasons, including high prices. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
I heard they got shut down to the public due to inadequate facilities but I could be wrong

That is what I heard as well.

On a Toronto note:
I have been having good luck with R2O aquariums in Toronto lately. Ryan(owner) is super helpful and always willing to answer questions. And man he has some killer discus( freshwater ) which I used to keep. Wish he was around when I was into them :p