Got excavator?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Just popping by with a random posting.... I was sitting around drunk and bought a couple of toys off some friends who are "getting out of concrete". Last year I bought a little bobcat 463 for the property and to work on the driveway (3/4km long). Found out quickly that it was simply too small to be any good. So buddy offers me this killer deal on a bigger skidsteer with a catch...I had to take an excavator with it. So now I have a meaty little machine AND a ridiculously oversized excavator.

When he dropped it off, my buddy said "it's a life changing event, owning an excavator". I didn't know what he meant until I started rumbling around the property with the HAND OF GOD at my disposal.

The skid steer just needs a new battery, new tires and some deep cleaning, fluids and inspections were up to date. The excavator needs everything. I think it spent some time in a fair bit of water. It took me 3 hours to hose all the of the mud out of the underside. BUT it runs fine, starts up and does everything, but most of the readouts are dead, so I don't know oil pressure, gas levels, etc etc.
Engine and pneumatics are all working, it moves and digs. Terrifying thing to operate though.

Just sharing here because I don't post enough and I don't do social media anymore.

Just now pressure washing the beast, and I have 10 gallons of industrial enamel paint sitting in the garage for it. New tires for the skidsteer are being put on right now and waiting on a battery.

It's still less work than a reef tank. Anyone else ever revitalized something like this?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 31
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    901.3 KB · Views: 22

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I will add in that the price for both of these was less than 2/3 the price of those skidsteers used. I can actually turn around and just sell the skidsteer and make money, and I CAN see myself fixing up the excavator and selling that, and getting a newer one, unless I get attached to it of course, you never know. I don't think the big ones sell for as much as one might think because once they are no longer certified for onsite work, what do you do with them? You need someone with some property and the need to move the property around. I had no idea. I was quoted out by kubota over $100K for a little tractor and some attachments, all this was a fraction of that.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
you should dig yourself a pool!
Generally I would say that I can't, because it's all shale, granite and bedrock here, BUT I also ordered up a pneumatic hammer attachment for the bobcat...now I can dig and tunnel everywhere!

(It's literally still snowing here today, we would have like a month to use the pool....

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 19

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
She's cleaning up real nice. Picked up primer, mesh patches, hammers, bondo, flap discs, fiberglass and some welding wire, I highly doubt getting dents out of this beast is going to be as easy as fixing up a honda accord, so I figure bondo is going to be required for some of the bigger dents. With the amount of damage to the back of this beast I'm going to also order a rear camera.

Attachments

• Wash.jpg
    Wash.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 22

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Shooting range you say :)
Oh yes indeed shooting range. The only trick is I need to cut a road in the side of a mountain, big enough for the excavator WITH the excavator, which I don't really know how to use yet.

I had a guy with a mini excavator cut a small road last year, but it's only wide enough for a sideXside because he had trouble with the bigger rocks. This thing shouldn't have any issue with rocks.

What I have now, is a 150Y set of targets, and a second area for pistol shooting that's up in a valley out of the way (red arrow), which is more work to get to, but it doesn't bounce the noise back into the valley. I forgot to take pics of it. Once I get the excavator up here, I can dig out proper berms and whatnot, make it much less likely to have any kind of richochet, but damn, it's a long process. Right now, I mostly just shoot tons of .22 an 9mm. Ammo is EXPENSIVE in trudeau's Canada.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13