Green Leaf/Tree Algae ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenna09

I have some green leafy/tree algae growing in my tank.  My tank was full of it before I cleaned it out.  I would say it has a hard texture and when it doesn't get enough light it goes white and stony.

Here are some pictures of it coming back in the past two weeks:
IMG_2470_zps4d454388.jpg

IMG_2472_zpse80939c3.jpg

IMG_2473_zps976cbf21.jpg

There is also a softer green leafy algae growing on this rock.
IMG_2471_zps11e11a87.jpg

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jenna

Giglio324

Halimeda algae aka money algae. I would get rid of it as I was advised. Calcerous algae which means it eats up calcium your corals won't be getting. Google it there seems to be mixed reviews

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Giglio324 link said:
Halimeda algae aka money algae. I would get rid of it as I was advised. Calcerous algae which means it eats up calcium your corals won't be getting. Google it there seems to be mixed reviews

I agree with the ID

When it is white, its dead. That white is your calcium :) I used to grow it in my tank. Added a nice look to the 75 gallon leather tank. But when I pruned it, I was tossing it out by the grocery bag full! It grew fast!

Biggest problem the algae has, is going asexual. Turns the tank green :) Skimmers go crazy etc. Prune it, and it won't get to that point (like a dandilion, cut off the yellow head, and it won't get to seed!)

J

Jenna09

Thanks for the ID that is definitely it.  I also have taken it out by the bag full and it has grown back quite quickly.  I will do some research on it and decide if I want to eradicate it totally from the tank...I do like the little bit of green it adds to the tank.

Jenna

Status
Not open for further replies.