Growing Gsp On Back Black Glass On Aio Tank

Canadianeh

I read that some people is growing zoa, GSP, and other corals on their back glass.

I am interested on this idea as well. I think it looks better than just a back black glass.

What kind of husbandry I am looking at if I want to grow GSP on the glass? How to make sure they don't grow pass the top water line? Or, it won't?

How hard is it to peel them off from the glass if they start to grow to the side of the glass? What tools do you use to peel them off? Thanks

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Take a look at my nano build.

I have it covering the back of the tank. It's easy to peel off when it grows where I don't want it to on the glass. But if it hits the rocks. It's a pain. Also you need to scrub the overflow teeth when it gets that far or will plug it.

Sony Xperia Z3

I glued some gsp to a rock and glued that to a magnet. I placed the magnet on the upper side glass next to my overflow, hoping it will cover the black plastic.
The back glass is reserved for coraline algae for my long spine urchin.

Now, I like the idea of zoas on the glass? Anyone doing this?

Canadianeh

Take a look at my nano build.

I have it covering the back of the tank. It's easy to peel off when it grows where I don't want it to on the glass. But if it hits the rocks. It's a pain. Also you need to scrub the overflow teeth when it gets that far or will plug it.

Sony Xperia Z3

I checked it out. I like it. How long did it take to cover the back wall on yours? How often do you scrape them off the glass? Will it grow past the top water line? Or, it will stop growing on the water line since it "knows" there is no water pass the line? I bet it looks even better in person with the water flow blowing them back and forth. I am going to do this with my tank. :)

Off to shop for GSP frag. I will use magnetic frag to attach it to the back wall.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Got gsp?

859cb495fbf8ced5a7d6603cb185cefb.jpg

Not my tank

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Just glue the gsp directly to the back. It'll take.

It will not grow past the water line. As for time it takes. Each tank is different. Mine only took about 6months before majority of the back was covered.

Be patient. I. Sure someone in your area will have tons to either give you, or sell for very cheap

Sony Xperia Z3

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I had a gsp wall in my pico and old 120. I just put the frag on the substrate touching the glass and it grew from there. Super easy to peal off glasd but you have to be vigilant on it to be sure it doesn't get a hold of something it shouldn't like rockwork

Canadianeh

I had a gsp wall in my pico and old 120. I just put the frag on the substrate touching the glass and it grew from there. Super easy to peal off glasd but you have to be vigilant on it to be sure it doesn't get a hold of something it shouldn't like rockwork

My rock work is not touching any of the back glass at all. I will post pic later to show the spacing between the rock and the back glass.

Canadianeh

I remember seeing magnetic frag plug on sale by Canadian online store. I think it goes by aqua something.

Anyone knows which one I am talking about. I tried google but couldn't find it

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I should add that I am almost giddy with excitement over the prospect of bleaching the ever effin crap out on 90% of the rock in my tank? Paly's first, then that awesome brown digitata, sunset monti, then, ah yes, the gsp. Oh I need to have a moment to myself now.