Hanna Calcium Checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I played around with this over the weekend.  I'm a big fan of the alk and phosphate checkers, so I'd really like this thing to work, but the results are just all over the board.  I ran 20 tests, using both RO/DI and distilled water (5 of each) and got very consistent numbers... Here are some of my findings:

Using the 0TDS water with or without reagent A on the first stage of the test makes absolutely no difference to the results (although the reagent has to be in the sample by the last stage).  So I guess that just says that reagent A is completely colourless I suppose. 

I got consistent results of either 360ppm or 410 ppm (or very close) depending on how many 'drops' of sample I put in.  It says to use .1 ml, but it is really difficult to judge exactly .1 ml with the crappy syringe they give ( they say to fill it, then go from say .7 to .6 on the syringe).  However, one drop of sample can change the result by 50ppm.  That's not really acceptable.  I think it should be done in drops from a more accurate source.

So has anyone found a reliable way to use the hanna checker?  I'm pretty close to giving up on it, since I'm not really happy with such a discrepancy for 1 drop. 

Unrelated to hanna:
I've used the salifert calcium, and found it quite tedious and innacurate too.  How is the red sea

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
the red see kit is fantastic and accurate.. if you get one, it also comes with much more accurate syringes which you could use for your hanna checker also.. lol

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i have been having the same problems.
i have also used other various kits and found the same thing.  im on the hunt for a better syringe to try.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
I have both the hanna and red sea.      I gave up using the hanna.  Cuz by the time i get the regent in the hanna has gone off.  Gotta be all prepared and that. ..so  i use the red sea ..i did buy a pinpoint cal checker. But couldnt get it to read GOOD on both the 100 amd 1000 solutions so i gave it to duke to try.  He got the 100 to say GOOD but not the 1000. So he gave it back to me.  So i tried on new yrs day when iwas bored.  I got both to read GOOD. ..then put the probe in a few inchs of water. .and the tester on top of my light fixture ...lol..next time i looked at the light the tester is in the tank...lol

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
I have both the hanna and red sea.      I gave up using the hanna.  Cuz by the time i get the regent in the hanna has gone off.  Gotta be all prepared and that. ..so  i use the red sea ..i did buy a pinpoint cal checker. But couldnt get it to read GOOD on both the 100 amd 1000 solutions so i gave it to duke to try.  He got the 100 to say GOOD but not the 1000. So he gave it back to me.  So i tried on new yrs day when iwas bored.  I got both to read GOOD. ..then put the probe in a few inchs of water. .and the tester on top of my light fixture ...lol..next time i looked at the light the tester is in the tank...lol

LOL... i have not had any problems with the hanna shutting off.
When are you pressing the button?  Dont push the button when it says press... push it when you put the new vials in.
I had a friend that was having the same problems.  All better when we realized he was pushing the button too soon.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke link said:
the red see kit is fantastic and accurate.. if you get one, it also comes with much more accurate syringes which you could use for your hanna checker also.. lol

Heh the funny thing is my wife works for becton dickinson, the company that makes most of these syringes.  I should see if she can get me a 1ml glass syringe, or even a .5ml syringe, but I don't know if they even make such a thing. 

I'll likely grab a red sea kit though, might as well try them all.  I wish there was just a probe for the apex... but I understand that's either impossibly expensive, or impossibly impossible.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
i agree.  probes for everything would be perfect.

when these "miracle" hanna checkers first came out,  thats kind of what i was expecting.  similar to a tds meter or a refractometer.
boy was i disappointed.
the only good thing for me is i dont have to compare colour charts anymore.  being colourblind it was quite dificult

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
davesolo29 link said:
i agree.  probes for everything would be perfect.

when these \"miracle\" hanna checkers first came out,  thats kind of what i was expecting.  similar to a tds meter or a refractometer.
boy was i disappointed.
the only good thing for me is i dont have to compare colour charts anymore.  being colourblind it was quite dificult
the red sea wont work for yu dave ...yu stop yur count when it changes color

spyd

Super Active Member
I bought the PO4, ALK and CAL Hanna Checkers. It was a fantastic deal. I have yet to even try the Calcium one as I am using up my Salifert test kit. I think I am going to sell my Cal Hanna Checker though and just get one of the Red Sea kits. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Giglio324

i have the red sea test kit and they are pretty good. the issue i have is how time consuming it is. and how i have to go and wash everything after. in comparison to the red sea how much quicker are the hanna test kits. more or less of a pita?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Giglio324 link said:
i have the red sea test kit and they are pretty good. the issue i have is how time consuming it is. and how i have to go and wash everything after. in comparison to the red sea how much quicker are the hanna test kits. more or less of a pita?

i find it quick.. are we talking about the same kits? the titrant holder makes it really fast, i can get cal and alk done in under 5 minutes now easy, i grab 2 cups.. one of RODI for rinsing and one for waste so im not getting up the whole time.. also i store the 3 vials filled with RODI.. that keeps them nice and clean and free of residue.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Everything that gore in yur saltwater tank with need to be rinsed under the tap.  Even the turkey baster and. Yur long tongs. ..all my test vials i run them under the tap and shake em dry.  B4 i do my testing i dump the vials in my saltwater tank and empty them and do that again about 4  more times and shake them dry and fill them with the 10 ml syringe

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I gave up on the Hanna calcium checker a while ago.....I bought one over a year ago, used it twice, and sold it because of too many cons when compared to the salifert calcium test kit.....I use the Hanna alk and phosphorous checker but the calcium one is a bit of a joke IMO.....like come on, 0.1ml are you kidding me!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
I gave up on the Hanna calcium checker a while ago.....I bought one over a year ago, used it twice, and sold it because of too many cons when compared to the salifert calcium test kit.....I use the Hanna alk and phosphorous checker but the calcium one is a bit of a joke IMO.....like come on, 0.1ml are you kidding me!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have 2 salifert Ca kits, both less than a year old, and both of them gave me very different result.  I ended up mixing the reagents together, but now I don't trust those results either.  Plus, it's a pain in the ass to shake the test for what, 20 seconds after every drop??  I like salifert quite a bit, but that one is a bit flukey too. 

Giglio324

I was gonna buy all three of the hanna testers i am having second thoughts now and may just stick with my red sea ones. I was a bit freaked out by the titration thing at first i hadnt done that since highschool chemistry lol

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Giglio324 link said:
I was gonna buy all three of the hanna testers i am having second thoughts now and may just stick with my red sea ones. I was a bit freaked out by the titration thing at first i hadnt done that since highschool chemistry lol

It's fairly universal feedback that the hanna phosphate (or phosphorous) and alkalinity checkers are top notch, better than the red sea (I have both), but skipping the calcium one might be a good idea. 

Status
Not open for further replies.