Headlight Polish To Remove Scratches?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The 40 I recently purchased needs a lot of work. I know that cerium oxide works for scratches, but as always there is nothing like that locally that I have found so far. Has anyone heard of or used headlight polish kits instead? Most of the scratches are barely even catching a fingernail swipe, but there are a lot and I would like to fix it before I get water in it.

Alexanneka

I believe most headlight polishing kits are just made for removing oxidation and damage to uv coating on plastic headlights. The only ones Ive seen contain 600,1500 And 3000 grit sandpaper for standing the damaged finish off then require the polish only be applied at the end a simply wiped clean and then needs to be reapplied at routine intervals. Don't believe they would pan out to well with glass.

Thion

Windshield apoxy or possibly even just clear apoxy might work? Typically it's used to remove "bullet holes" or small hair line cracks but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a scratch. Fill the scratched area with the apoxy, let it cure and then scrape off the access with a razor blade. Might be worth a shot?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Windscreen polishing kit arrived today. It comes with buffing disks and 1.2 micron cerium oxide. Grabbed up some 3.5 micron to get the party started.

Also some 3d printer parts came in.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
934df903a4933733ebd82dc8740013b4.jpg

So Torx did the Cerium oxide work to get rid of scratches? Did you have to apply it and then buff it out? I've got a nice aquarium in my garage and it has a lot of fine scratches and no big gauges so I was thinking about trying to buff them out. How good of a job did it do?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The cerium oxide worked great. I also grabbed up a glass polish kit off Amazon to go with it. I used the cerium oxide powder and the pads from the kit. I spent about an hour doing tank. It works. I got out the bad stuff. There are still lots of scratches. That has nothing to do with the product or the method. I just did not have the time to put into it then. I still have a ton of cerium oxide, it goes a long way. I suggest an angle drill if you have one, or some other buffing wheel. I recently used it to clean my headlights as they were completely fogged over. Like probably shouldn't have been driving at night fogged over. Now they are crystal clear and almost look new again despite them being 16 years old. I told my self to get before and after pictures, but I started with out the before and remembered half way through finishing the second fml.

Cerium Oxide Glass Polishing Powder 3.5microns - 3.5 ounces (100grams) High Grade

Glass Polishing Kit for all Types of Glass and Car Windshield Wiper Blade Scratches