Heater Controller

Canadianeh

I am planning to get Fennix 300 watts heater for my 40 gallon tank. Do I need to get Fennix temperature controller as well? Does the Fennix heater already comes with temperature setting?

I would like to understand why I need a controller in addition to the heater that I assumed already has a temperature setting.

If I get the 100 watts one, do I also need the controller?

Thanks guys.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
300w seems overkill for 40gal, heaters are notoriously bad for failing on the temp control so a controller is best

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If a 300w heater fails in the ON position, you will kill off your entire tank in a matter of minutes. Go for 2 smaller 100w heaters. Set them 2-3 degrees from each other so the second only comes on when additional heat is needed. Those internal thermostats fail, and when they do you can fry your tank. Hence the redundancy in control. I have my heaters set to 78 and my Apex programmed to shut off power to them if the water hits 80. Even if a heater fails, they will still get shut off, plus I will get texts and emails telling me.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Canadianeh

300w seems overkill for 40gal, heaters are notoriously bad for failing on the temp control so a controller is best

The Fennix 300 watts is actually rated for 40 gallons tank on their website. The 150W also rated up to 60 gallons. I will get the 150 watts then.

If a 300w heater fails in the ON position, you will kill off your entire tank in a matter of minutes. Go for 2 smaller 100w heaters. Set them 2-3 degrees from each other so the second only comes on when additional heat is needed. Those internal thermostats fail, and when they do you can fry your tank. Hence the redundancy in control. I have my heaters set to 78 and my Apex programmed to shut off power to them if the water hits 80. Even if a heater fails, they will still get shut off, plus I will get texts and emails telling me.

Hmmm.....that will double the cost. You are right though. Good idea!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
The Fennix 300 watts is actually rated for 40 gallons tank on their website. The 150W also rated up to 60 gallons. I will get the 150 watts then.

Hmmm.....that will double the cost. You are right though. Good idea!
Higher cost for heaters...vs killing all your fish, coral and livestock. It is worth the extra few dollars now.