Heater Frequency

Copperkills

Just curious what everyone is running their tank temp at and the frequency their heater cycles.

I’m currently running an on temp of 77.5 and off temp of 77.9 and my heater is cycling every hour for 5-10 minutes.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
On below 77 degrees Off above 77 degrees, hot water heat, pump runs @ 6 min on 6 min off, @ 300 gal water volume. We keep our house about 66 degrees.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Hour to hour temperature variation in typical reef environments averages 4-10 degrees C depending on season location etc.

Unnaturally stable temperatures appear to be beneficial to some species, less so to others.

I try for a moderate middle ground...on at 76F, off at 78F.
Now that I no longer have the heat of halides I have considered programming a cycle that extends up to 80F during the day but maintains the same lower limit.

That's the "expensive" answer meaning/justifying that I dont really worry that much about temperature.

Kman

Super Active Member
I like to run mine a little hotter. Usually 79 to 81 depending on what season it is. I like to cycle my temp. Winter is cooler and summer warmer. I find the tank inhabittence like it. The food web seems to thrive a little more and my corals grow better. If someone were to adjust the tank to these temps though they should do it gradually. No jump in temperature that the coral can't adjust to easily. You avoid possibly shocking some of the more sensitive inverts and corals that way. Depending on what you keep, a month is the safe zone. That would be for sps and inverts. But soft and most lps can do a shorter periods. Like over a few days to a week. But some sps don't like jumps in temperature.
If they are wild caught I would be more cautious. If they are cultured in captivity they tend to be more hardy with the closed systems we keep. So they can usually handle a little faster. If you are new to the hobby do the safe approach.