hello everyone.... newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stacey

Hey I am an extreme newby to the saltwater life. My husband bought me a tank and setup for Christmas finally after 3 years of asking. So I am gonna need all of the help I can get. Lol
I am looking forward to all the information everyone can give me.  ;D

J

jones02

Welcome stacey, everything you will need to know is all here. Ask lots of questions.

I

IrishPride

Hey Stacey!  Welcome to a great forum.  Lots of knowledge and experience here.
What did your husband get you for setup?
What type of tank are you looking to set up?  Mixed reef, FOWLR (fish
Only with liverock) Sps....etc.

These guys and gals here have tons of experience to help you bring your tank to life!

S

stacey

He got me a 55. Has great light set up. The 2 day ones and a night one and a moon one. Has a built in pump and filter. Has live rock that came with it. I am trying to cycle it but ammonia is staying at 20 nitrates are at 0. Salt is good and pH is good.

dale

hi stacy,, it could take days to weeks for your tank to cycle,, but it sounds like your off to a good start... some pics of your setup would make it alot easier for people to give you tips and suggestions on a sucsessfull startup, my suggestion for a tank style (and a guess of what your lookin for) would be a soft coral reef tank... for now... good luck and welcome..

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome welcome. Slow is key, you will hear this over and over. We will try and keep you on the right track and help you out with purchases and best places to shop. Enjoy your stay.

Edit: removed some negative content that was not needed.

mark0933

Hey Stacey, are your Drew's wife?  This is Mark, Travis from football's dad.  Drew might have told you I have a tank, if you need help feel free to give me a shout (but asking on here is great too, these guys are all great guys)

Mark

S

stacey

Thanks everyone for welcoming me. And mark yes I'm drews wife. My goals for the tank are to have some coral and fish.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Welcome Stacey!

Hope you enjoy your time here.  The others have summed it up well.  Take it slow, research your fish well before you add any to make sure they are correct for your tank size and research your corals to make sure they will be compatible with your fish and visa versa.  Try not to make impulse buys and have a plan that you stick to.  A reef tank is always a work in progress and it can be very rewarding.  I wish you many years of pleasure watching your new tank.  No matter what hardships you go through to get your ideal setup (and you will have some), it is all worth it in the end.  Best of luck  :)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Welcome Stacey
You'll find a wonderful bunch of helpful people here. I'm new too. I've had a 65 gal fish only for about 2 years and I'm just branching out into some corals now. When I first set my tank up the recommendation was a month for it to cycle. I'll be starting over soon with a 135 another learning curve. Research and lots of questions are the way to go
Best of luck  :)
SunnyKita

nitro069

Welcome Stacey, can't wait to see some pics of your tanks. we love pics here. like everyone has said before..........nothing good happens fast and educate yourself as much as possible. ask, read and ask again.

S

stacey

So my tank is still cycling :(  my ammonia levels seem to be stuck at 3.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
stacey link said:
So my tank is still cycling :(  my ammonia levels seem to be stuck at 3.

Hi Stacey: 
Another suggestion is to purchase a product like "stability" that adds some bacteria to help the cycle along.  Here is a link to some if you are thinking about it  http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=stability&x=15&y=12 
These guys are in Hamiliton area and items can be picked up at their warehouse as well as having delivered.  I always use this one and get good results from it.

S

stacey

OK so I put some bacteria in my tank from big als. This morning my ammonia is 0, nitrite is 2, and nitrate is 160. What is my next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.