Hello From London

Falcon

Hi I'm Falcon

New to salt water and not a hundred percent sure when I'll dive in, guess I'll work up my nerve to do it some day

I have a 65 gallon South African fish tank. Four peacocks, one is a male for sure now. Its like someone has thrown the switch because he's getting ready to color up. I've been waiting five months to know the answer to that question. I will be posting a new update on the 65 gallon soon.

Before that I kept a 12 inch oscar by himself in there for nine years before he jumped the tank on me :(

There are two yellow tail aceis and two syndontis cat fish in the 65 gallon, everyone is growing and are very healthy.

I have a smaller 5.5 gallon with a half moon tail betta, mystery snail and four ghost shrimp.

Someone from big als recommended this website so yeah here I am

Last edited:

Falcon

I was thinking for my first salt water tank, I was thinking a pair of clown fish and some hermit crabs and snails and something to shift through the sand. I figure a light bioload would be easier to learn to keep then a heavy one.

Nick James

Welcome! A larger tank is easier to learn on as well! 75-90g if you have room would be a good range to start, but bigger is better :)

Falcon

Space is a problem for me. with the 65 gallon I would be very reluctant to add another large tank to the apartment.

I am sort of regretting in turning the 65 gallon into a South African cichlid tank. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind in a couple of years. I was told a good minimum starting tank would be 40 gallons.

I was originally 20 but now I'm thinking somewhere between 30 to 40 gallons.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
As stated the bigger the better, as changes in water chemistry can wipe out or stress a tank...the more water volume the less likely a screwup will wipe out years of work and $$$$$$.

Take your time, this forum is a great resource, I know there's at least one or two people on here that know what they're doing. Most of us will give you the straight story without trying to tag your wallet too.

Falcon

I've been keeping fish for 28 years. Starting out with guppies, neons, a betta, danios, cory's, white clouds, a gold fish at one point, eventually diving off into cichlid territory and to start off with an oscar to boot, I was very nervous about getting into south african cichlid keeping, one wrong move can cause a headache. Its not as difficult as I was first fearing and I figure I would see how this went first. It is one step away from diving into salt water or that's what someone told me at Big Als, it's a cross over. I do buffer their water with some amount of salt and baking soda PH is steady at 8.2 and the KH and GH is at 10. There is a lot to learn about water chemistry with SA's. If the PH drops below 7.6 it stresses the peacocks out. If you don't raise the GH and KH to a minimum of 10, it's difficult to keep the PH above 7.6.

I've already done a lot of research into salt water and it's a lot to think on as to whether or not I really want to dive in or not. Honestly there is no rush into this. I prefer doing my homework first then decide if it's a good idea or not.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I've been keeping fish for 28 years. Starting out with guppies, neons, a betta, danios, cory's, white clouds, a gold fish at one point, eventually diving off into cichlid territory and to start off with an oscar to boot, I was very nervous about getting into south african cichlid keeping, one wrong move can cause a headache. Its not as difficult as I was first fearing and I figure I would see how this went first. It is one step away from diving into salt water or that's what someone told me at Big Als, it's a cross over. I do buffer their water with some amount of salt and baking soda PH is steady at 8.2 and the KH and GH is at 10. There is a lot to learn about water chemistry with SA's. If the PH drops below 7.6 it stresses the peacocks out. If you don't raise the GH and KH to a minimum of 10, it's difficult to keep the PH above 7.6.

I've already done a lot of research into salt water and it's a lot to think on as to whether or not I really want to dive in or not. Honestly there is no rush into this. I prefer doing my homework first then decide if it's a good idea or not.

I hear ya , I walked into a fish store knowing 0 about saltwater stuff and started out and ATM I'm doing just fine , but if I could go back I'd do my research so I wouldn't have lots of problems along the way .

IMOP , fish only system would be easier then a reef and never go to small of a tank to start off with unless you're ready to do weekly tests , ato water almost daily &a checking salinity daily . It's best to think about what you want vs what you need , if you have the money and good with Tec stuff (not me) lol , you can always use a apex and dosing stuff to help make things run smoother . you would only really need a apex on a reef tank.

I love this hobby , I just wish I knew about this forum earlier to help me answer all my questions consistency is key and patients.

Falcon

Before I got into SA keeping, I did a lot of research into what you can mix and what you can't mix. a peacock coloring up means I must be doing something right. Males don't color up if they're stressed and the conditions aren't right.

I'm not entirely sure I want to get into reefs. I was thinking of fish and rock only.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I don't even like the fish in a reef system, they're only there to feed the coral.

There's a distinct feeling of satisfaction when you grow out that epic colony of sps... and the accompanying "ooohs and aaaahs" that come with it :)
It's never boring, I'll give it that.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Welcome to the hobby. Just my $0.05, when starting up your reef, 'forget' everything fresh water. Although there are a lot of similarities, the small differences will be huge. What works with fresh water does not necessarily work for salt water. Even more so, what works for FOWLR (fish only with live rock) does not necessarily work for a reef set up. The other note is to take your time. When you think you have run out of patience, then you probably still have not waited enough. So many people get frustrated in this hobby and in fear of loosing the money they have put in, they make rash quick decisions. That almost always leads to something worse. Ask around here, we will give you the truth. At a store, look up what you are buying on your phone, or heck, there is almost always someone online here, just add a thread to the site and walk around the store one more time so people have time to reply. This site is not run by or financially sponsored by companies and therefor are typically unbiased. We say what has worked for us and many have been in salt water for decades.

Josh

Welcome, another londoner!!

I am in the process of giving up on my cichlid tank. No offense to the london retailers but finding quality cichlids anywhere near london is a huge chore.

Salty is right once u get the bug you just wont look at your freshies the same again. I do however like a nice planted community tank.

Also this is all kind of nostalgic, i did same thing you did back in July of 2016, I was going fish only with live rock and within 4 months i had corals. I mean its possible you stick to fish only but its going to be hard seeing all those beauty corals everytime you go to the store.

Falcon

Josh: Pet Paradise has a decent selection of cichlids, mind you most of them are juvies minus the ones people drop off. You have to be careful with what you mix other wise one will kill the other or sometimes it draws down to the fish's personality. There is a back yard breeder that runs a gas station over on Wharen Cliff and Mount Pleasant Ave, the XTR gas station. She sells all sorts of cichlids in there and some are really nice. She even sells the adults at some point.

I would love to get a pair of electric yellows, but the tank seems as peaceful as it gets where cichlids are concerned, why disrupt that balance. Eight was the fail safe number for the tank. even though I probably could put up to four more in there. Not sure I want too.

Torx: Just my $0.05, is that the new phrase instead of my 2 cents? is my five cents :p

I just realized my male peacock went through a growth spurt from when I took his picture two weeks ago. He's another half an inch long. I thought he looked a little longer yesterday. Hae is starting to get more blue on his body around the gills and back tail. He is definitely getting ready to color up, it's exciting, been waiting 6 months for this moment.

65 gallon tank clean out day. Just finished giving them Brine shrimp, now it's time to clean the tank.

Last edited:

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Welcome aboard tft.... this is the best forum around to help you get started! Good luck once you start your hooked!
P.s. i have cichlids instock and pull from several suppliers list if you or @Josh are looking for anything please let me know. Im sure i can help!

monizb

Super Active Member
Welcome I left saltwater and went fresh water and miss saltwater big time I will be back for sure soon I miss my tank
IMG_2750.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monizb

Super Active Member
IMG_2246.JPG

This is my fresh water setup couple discus Couple golden nugget plecos German blue rams couple angels tettras ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk