Hello From London!

SaltyScott

Hey everyone, I'm new to the Hobby and looking forward to absorbing as much as I can from this forum. I'm in the process of building a nano reef using a fluval Evo 13.5. I know I should have started larger, but funds, and more importantly the wife, had me going smaller scale. Anyways, although new to saltwater tanks I've had freshwater tanks off and on for years... The most recent of which had a horrible crash when the landlord's grandkid decided to pour three full cans of fish food into the tank...didn't find out about that till I got home several hours later to a tank full of dead fish and a note with a twenty attached to it saying sorry and here's money for more food .
My tank is up and running with a clownfish(kids demanded it), cleaner shrimp and a cuc of nassarius snails and cerith snails. Also added my first Coral today, maybe you could ID it for me, the guy at the store didn't know the exact name, lol. I'll attach a pic.
Sorry for rambling!

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    713.2 KB · Views: 305

RobH.

Welcome . You know that evo isn't a bad way to start I won one at London frag feast a couple years ago I would have never thought to go that small but it is really a nice little system . You will want to upgrade the return pump at some point or atleast throw away the sponge that is in it and don't bother with the skimmer water changes are too easy on that size of a tank the skimmer sucks anyway.

SaltyScott

You will want to upgrade the return pump at some point or atleast throw away the sponge that is in it and don't bother with the skimmer water changes are too easy on that size of a tank the skimmer sucks anyway.

Yeah, I removed the foam out of the return pump and am going to upgrade it eventually. Also I have an intank media basket about to arrive at my house any day now .I've been rocking a DIY egg crate filter box in chamber one that is not really working that great, although well enough till the intank one arrives. Thanks for the tips!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give is to (when you can) upgrade to a bigger tank, or get the biggest sump you can, so that you have a lot more volume of water, which helps with stability. 1 water change with improper salinity can crash a nano if you're not careful.

Second, just accept that you're going to have losses and setbacks. Don't do ANYTHING quickly. Don't dump chemicals in to 'fix' things, sometimes tanks just have to figure themselves out without your help. Keep a VERY strict water change schedule, make sure the water going in is 0TDS, and just keep at it.

The hobby is hella expensive, hella frustrating, but immeasurably satisfying when you get it right. We're all here to help, best of luck.

SaltyScott

Welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give is to (when you can) upgrade to a bigger tank, or get the biggest sump you can, so that you have a lot more volume of water, which helps with stability. 1 water change with improper salinity can crash a nano if you're not careful.

Second, just accept that you're going to have losses and setbacks. Don't do ANYTHING quickly. Don't dump chemicals in to 'fix' things, sometimes tanks just have to figure themselves out without your help. Keep a VERY strict water change schedule, make sure the water going in is 0TDS, and just keep at it.

The hobby is hella expensive, hella frustrating, but immeasurably satisfying when you get it right. We're all here to help, best of luck.

Thanks man! Great advice, being patient is by far the hardest part for me, but I got this! Lol.

Londonreefer

If you even need nano specific questions, I run 4 of them. Also have had reef tanks as small as 1.7 gal pico. Don’t fear the nano.....just be on top of your water chemistry........test, test, test.