Hello, New Guy To The Hobby..

taumaz

Hello fellow reefers...

I have been in the saltwater tank hobby for almost a year now.. I had no prior experience with aquariums until my wife brought home a tank from a yard sale for the kids to enjoy. So I set it up and headed to our local bigals to pick out some fish with my wife and kids and surprise surprise they only wanted dory, nemo and corals... I tried to explane those were saltwater fish and we had freshwater setup but they gave me that look of disapointment that makes you cave lol... so I decided rite there I would do whatever I needed to do to get us into a saltwater reef tank.

So we were on a budget so buying a ready made reef setup was not happening. I am a tradesman and build stuff for a living and quite enjoy that sort of thing so I decided to go the build from scratch route.

Our tank is 75gal with coast to coast overflow, external bean animal overflow box, 30gal sump with refugium, bubble magus c5 skimmer, jebao dcp 6500 dc return pump, Dsuny chinese led lights, and i made our stand from framing lumbar and skined it with ikea kitchen panels (matte black).

Our first year has been reasonbly succesful, but we have lost fish and a few corals. I am hoping joining this fourm will ge me an outlet to ask questions and learn more to improve our tank!

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 81

EZMac

Welcome to tft. Lots of help here for anything really. Great people here ready to help. Remember there are no dumb questions, its better to ask around than lose fish or corals. Tank looks great!! Cheers.