Hello

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
It is a large macro algea not sure what kind but I also have a second smaller one

Likely Halymenia Floresia. structure is variable due to flow and lighting conditions. It is very difficult...OK nearly impossible to get cuttings to reattach to substrate. But since you don't have any herbivores consuming it you will find babies sprouting up on rock and substrate as it releases little tufts to spread. It's a seldom a pest as all plant eaters love it and it looks nice too...

Ryan Johnson

Likely Halymenia Floresia. structure is variable due to flow and lighting conditions. It is very difficult...OK nearly impossible to get cuttings to reattach to substrate. But since you don't have any herbivores consuming it you will find babies sprouting up on rock and substrate as it releases little tufts to spread. It's a seldom a pest as all plant eaters love it and it looks nice too...

I thought it might be Halymenia duchassaignii as it is not frilly like floresia, do you know if it can be propagated out of water in a 100% humidity environment? I have some agar jell that I would be willing to try to create a paste with.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I thought it might be Halymenia duchassaignii as it is not frilly like floresia, do you know if it can be propagated out of water in a 100% humidity environment? I have some agar jell that I would be willing to try to create a paste with.
H. Duchassaignii tends to be more of a tan/brown colour in high lighting and tropical temps IME..but possible as all types morph significantly due to conditions. Since they lack any physical support structures, out of water they wouldn't be able to actually grow out, but I have no idea if you could propagate starter sprouts...off hand I would say no but honestly I left Botany behind in second year U...lol .never felt a need to consider anything that complex as it spreads asexually so easily on its own.....

sunnykita

Super Active Member
My pulsing xenia is about to split on its own it started to grow a lobe onto some barnacles I have in the tank and has doubled in size in the last 2 weeks
Hi Ryan, I picked up a couple tiny pieces of pulsing xenia last weekend, but if you get to the point that you have a piece you'd like to sell let me know, I've lots of room in my 135 ;) that is a beautiful macro algae piece you have ! hopefully it spreads for you and you can sell some pieces off, you'd have a line up of buyers for it !