Help buying stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gietz

Hello all

Im a real newbie when it come to buying stuff for saltwater i could possibliy buy a 2 coralife powerheads for 50 bucks, Seaclone skimmers for 75 bucks, CPR overflow and return pump good for a 100 gal 100 bucks

if i get these three together i will only have to pay 190

is this a good deal??

everything is only a year old

plz help as i need to let the guy know ASAP

thx

M

marks69

powerheads are around that new.  depending on what model.  the overflow will cause you problems, you should get the tank drilled, will be alot safer and easier in the long run.  i don't know about the skimmer.  what return pump is included?  probably a mag 7 or 9.5, if so they are loud, put out alot of heat, and suck up hydro.

G

Gietz

I heard overflow arnt that much of a problem, what's the big problem with them? Would it be better to go with a canister filter than?  Also if this insnt that great of a deal where could I go to get saltwater supplies from? I live in Windsor and can't travel to far out of the city so any help on where I could get good supplies for a good price would be helpful

thx alot for your advice

xxmurrxx

Online, watch the local forums / kijiji for good deals, If you are unable to order online some local stores can bring stuff in for you pretty close to cost.

I also would get the tank drilled if your going to run a sump. You can get this done by a professional if you do not want to attempt yourself.

S

shayneh

Design your system first and then research the individual components. Don't try to fit a system together with parts because they are cheap. Ideally drill the tank for the overflow and reduce the risk of failure commonly associated with HOB overflows. Much better powerheads are always available from this and other forums or Kijiji (Tunze, Korallia, Vortech). The seaclone skimmers are great if your running a 15-20gal tank but no way would this be good for a larger tank unless your going fish only with live rock. If you even google the various items you will be able to get a pretty good idea of the quality of the items. I hope this guy isn't a friend...LOL! 

G

Gietz

I found these stuff on kijiji so and im starting out with FOWLR but with a year or so im goin to attempt corals so its not worth it i take it,

So what should i be looking at getting im tired of some of my LFS trying to rip me off can anyone give me brand names that would be good for a 55 gal that IS NOT DRILLED??

so far im looking at;

Powerheads - MaxiJets 1200 or Koralia which is better?
Overflow - eshopps or life reef which is better?
Heater - im lost
filteration - Canister or sump what is better?

thx again

S

shayneh

OK bullet to the head and I had to pick one.....

Powerhead- Korallia (less heat, current draw and powerful magnets let you point wherever without fear of finding it has let go and is blowing substrate around)
Overflow- Screw it I'll take the bullet... would rather see you do this  http://www.glass-holes.com/700-gph-Overflow-complete-kit-gh700kit.htm
Heater- Jagers are still the best of the worst
filtration- Sump all the way (allows for better skimmers, moves equipment out of sight, more water=more dilution of pollutants and more stable system)

Hope that helps!

xxmurrxx

Agreed with the Koraila powerhead never had a problem with mine
Heater: I use the Marineland stealth in my nano.  Works pretty good for me keeps fairly accurate temp and shuts off when it reaches proper temp.

I don't know much about overflow boxes. For a filter I use the skimmer and a cheap HOB Aqua clear.

F

fishit

i have a 55 gal tank and stand and canopy for sale on hear for 200$ firm its already drilled and has overflow built in probably cheaper than doing everything to yours than getting yours drilled and i can throw in a prizem skimmer for 50 $

S

shayneh

Korallia's did get a bad rep for leaking current into the water (I had one that would zap me) but that may have been fixed. I like the Vortech's because the motor is on the dry side or the 12v Tunze and Korallia's. Remember insane amounts of electricity and saltwater can be lethal (yet another reason to buy higher quality products). My 75g system won't have powerheads flow will be via a 2500gph closed loop....  boo ha ha ha! (evil laugh).

G

Gietz

Perfect as for a drilled tank everyone says it easier but i dont wanna get my tank drilled and as for buying a new one me and my dad made the stand and eveything together so its a keeper now.  My prob right now is trying to find a sump?? any help??

S

shayneh

Drilling the tank won't require you to change the stand. You can drill the back....actually it's most likely you will have to as most tank bottoms are tempered and run plumbing to your sump or you can drill a hole in the top of your stand and pink foam to accomodate the plumbing if you can drill the bottom. It's also another great son n pops project as someone has to hold the hose and get beer while the other person looses their hearing while drilling.....good times! :'(

Seggsy

It depends on your time frame too.  If you are in a hurry for cheap, that skimmer and overflow might work.
If it is the same footprint tank, you could buy a used set-up that is drilled, throw the tank on your stand, and sell your tank with the new stand.

I like koralia powerheads - can get used pretty cheap - not the best, but much better than those ones.

If you have decent flow, decent skimmer, not too much bioload (too many fish) and a good amount of live rock, that may be all the filtration you need.

A buddy of mine runs an overflow - works fine, but it's in his basement, so if there is ever a leak issue, no hard to the house (though the fish and coral may not enjoy an air-bath).

G

Gietz

ha ha ha  well in Windsor it hard to sell a 55 gal right now so i would rather stay with what i got i also heard that there are some really good overflow boxes that wont leak its called reef something or have reef in the name lol i cant find my mater paper with all my info so here is another question can i use tap water for my water changes? what i plan on doing is leaving the water sit for at least 48 hours putting in some kinda of conditioner and then doing the water changes that way

is that possible??

M

marks69

no you need ro/di water.  you'll end up with lots of problems and possibly dead fish without it.  and the fish cost way more than a ro/di unit

S

shayneh

Not possible (with a successful outcome)! If you plan on having live rock you'll have one heck of a mess using tap water as the rock will absorb all the nasty stuff in your water (Nitrate's/Phosphates + whatever they still dump in the river) and leach it back out feeding all sorts of unwanted microalgaes. This will be frustrating and time consuming to fix not to mention you won't be able to keep much alive save for some hardy fish. It seems like your trying to do this as fast as possible while on a tight budget and all I can say (in the nicest way possible) is go slow and do it right the first time because when you fix it the second time it costs more and takes longer. I would say If you have to wait a few more months to get an RO/di it will be worth it in the long term success of your system. If you absolutely must set this up tomorrow might I recommend you buy water from a reputable company (Water depot, Culligan) and have them show you the TDS of the water. Most purists want 0ppm TDS I let mine run to about 6-7ppm TDS and most good water companies replace their filters at 7-10ppm which is getting too high even. But for comparison sake my tap water from a municipal water supply (deep well) is about 370ppm TDS and contains 40ppm Nitrates (lethal for salt) and Windsor's municipal water (Detroit river, Turkey Creek, Canard and Little River) will be just as bad if not worse. Please realize I'm not trying to beat you down but help you have a nice reef tank you'll be happy with....

G

Gietz

I understand fully im not looking to jump into the hobby but i wanna get everything clear before i start buying stuff and setting up my tank I am getting already cycled water from a LFS in belleriver (Sams) but there is alot more to do with this hobby than freshwater ( which i have been doing for 10 years..  cichlids south American) What is TDS?? and where could i get a RO/di in Windsor??  and also do anyone know where i could get massive 20 gal jugs lol i have i have alot of 5 gal buckets and it takes up alot of room when i need to let tap water sit of my freshwater tanks and If i get a RO/di i dont want it draining into 5 gal buckets and having them sitting all over the place lol.  trust me on this i am taking it slow i have had my tank shut down for just under 2 months and have to to unsure to start anything up im a huge fish lover and really dont wanna kill a fish on some stupid mistake. 

But again i really thank you all for posting here and helping me getting started im excited to start but prob wont for another couple of months

S

shayneh

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids (or Sh#t lol!) I know there are a few companies on here that could likely help you...I use the Aqua Safe RO/di

http://www.aquasafecanada.com/aquarium.html

They are Canadian and their units are affordable for what your getting.....Water supply places sell the 5 gallon water cooler jugs and they will usually give you the red caps.

xxmurrxx

If you want to buy RO water, great canadian water co on jefferson sells $3 fills on monday I get my 5 gal jug filled there.
Plenty of other places too just look up water places in the phone book.

G

Gietz

And i can use RO water right?? is there any problems i will deal with when using them?? also how often sound i do a water change i was thinking 10 gallons pper month ??

Status
Not open for further replies.