Help buying stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shayneh

I know the Water Depot here is like $2 or less depending on how many fills you buy. Regardless of where you go just make sure they can show you a TDS reading. If they have other "fish guys" (as you'll come to be known) they will understand why your asking about their current TDS and when they replace filters. If they don't know what TDS is...run away!

Seggsy

I have a convenience store near me that sells filtered water for $2 per 5g jug.  I check the TDS (total disolved solids) every so often, in case they don't change their filter.  Have had good luck, cheap, doing it this way.

NEVER use tap.  I wrecked my first tank that way - live rock COVERED in nasty red velvety algae.

G

Gietz

ok so since we are on water how often do you guys do water changes?? say 10 gals per month??

and thx to everyone out there how has been helping me i really appreciate it!!!

cheers

F

fishit

there is a three stage ro system on kijiji now for 50$ go get it before you even start. o ps did you buy all that stuff from the guy on kijiji I've bean trying to get ahold of him since he put that ad up and he wont reply back i hate that

F

FamilyPetCentre

you got a link for that? cant seem to find it. I also have my old personal RO system for sale, not sure where your located. if your interested let me know.

G

Gietz

Ya i do need an RO system! how much did you want for it and im located in Windsor but cant travel far to pick anything up. 

S

shayneh

Some free advice...make sure if your buying a used system that you know how old the filters are (preferrably still in the wrappers). I made the mistake of buying an RO/di used and the filters were an odd size and they cost almost as much to replace as a brand new RO/di with 6 months worth of filters, taxes, and shipping from BC. Needless to say I bought my new RO/di (Aqua Safe) and chalked it up as a learning experience on the "cheaper" used RO. LOL!  Make sure you get a TDS meter as well so you know when your filters are starting to die. I run a dual TDS before the RO membrane and outlet. Once the TDS before the membrane starts to climb I replace my filters so I don't wreck the RO membrane. It's disgusting how dirty the prefilters get.....

G

Gietz

OK guys i have another prob.  I cant find a sump anywhere and it driving me crazy, I would rather buy one.  All i am looking for is a 20 gal tank already made into a sump or refuge.  i can but my own return pump. Can anyone help me with this LOL??

S

shayneh

You could likely make one faster (and cheaper) than you'll find one. Standard 20g tank with 4 glass baffles (if you divide into 3 areas) that you can likely get cut at a glass place from scrap/broken glass and some aquarium safe silicone.

I will soon have a (two section) 15g sump that I can sell from my Biocube setup for $80.00

S

shayneh

....Box of Water had a post here and they were giving away 20g tanks so you could literally build your sump for about $30 (glass baffles and silicone)....Cheers!

C

Cal_stir

reefwater.net sells alot of BRS stuff, rodi units, filters, dosing, etc., free shipping over $150, no brokerage fees

S

shayneh

I noticed a lot of unhappy customers with BRS's ro/di units and at 75gpd they are fairly small for the price. I was thinking and you could probably work something out with your local glass shop and have them cut you all the panels to build a 20g sump using scrap glass. Then all you need to find is a return pump that supplies your desired gallonage.

C

Cal_stir

bwiplumbing.com has rodi units for good prices , free shipping  you could check them out , they are canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.