Help for setup and improve my new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aran

i am looking for some perfessional advice and help for my newly setup tank. please let me know.thx

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Hey, welcome to the site, the best advice I can give is to take it slowly and read as much as you can online to see whats working for people and what doesn't. Don't do anything your not sure of, and even when given advice I would take that advice.. research it online.. then make a decision on what to do yourself.

Heres a good place to start, This guy has been there and done that more than a few times and if you keep it simple and cover all the bases.. you'll have great sucesss.

http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3639.0

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Also...just because someone wants you to pay them to help you out, they may not be the expert you are hoping for.  There are people on this site that are better than many so called 'experts'.  Just ask and take it slow.  Chances are we've made the mistakes you're about to make. 

A

aran

thanks everone for the responses. here is my tank.
i start having corals and wondering what should i add to my tank and do i need to feed them , and what brand would you recommend to buy?
thanks  again!

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Most corals just need light and flow to grow.  Feeding them can certainly increase color size and survivability.  What do you have for lights?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Wow, this tank looks really new. You also have a ton of different corals that all have different care needs.

Neopimp link said:
Most corals just need light and flow to grow.  Feeding them can certainly increase color size and survivability.  What do you have for lights?

Can we know what size of tank you have? Also, what kind of filtration, sump, lights, skimmer and equipment are you running? I have a feeling that there are going to be some issues here.

Also, I think that tank is going too small for those tangs unless that tank is a lot bigger then I think it is...but i doubt it.

What research did you do before starting this tank?

A

aran

The tank is 54 g, i am using coralife HQ t5(2 white and 2 blue light) sorry i am not familiar with the right terms  ???, i am using coralife Super skimmer 65G! which make so much noise :(

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Tank: 54g
Light: Coralife HQI T5
Skimmer: Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Fish: Blue Tang, Yellow Tang, 3 Clown Fish, Damsel, shrimp, RTA
Corals: Mixed LPS and SPS

And how old is the tank...when did you set it up etc etc?
Can you take a picture of the light? coralife HQI t5 leaves open a lot of different items. If you bought it used...how old is the light/bulbs.

As for the 'Dori Fish' ..aka Blue Tang or Hippo Tang. You will have to give that fish away at some point, sooner rather then later, it can not stay in that small of a tank.

Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 1' (1 foot)
Diet: Herbivore
Family: Acanthuridae

Same for the Yellow Tang

Minimum Tank Size: 100 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 8"
Color Form: Yellow
Diet: Herbivore

A

aran

thanks for advice,
the tank is month old, the light is new bought from BigAl!Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5-HO Fixture - 4 x 24 W - 24"•Comes with 4x24w T5HO bulbs (2x10000k, 2x Actinic blue) & 2 adjustable LED moonlights

can you tell what i am doing wrong , i feel i am missimg a lots here! :-\

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
You have not et the tank cycled. ..its about 3 months anyway ..and 6 months for the tangs ..snd yur tank size s to small for tangs ..so if you got them from a lfs then see if they will give yu store credit to take them back

xxmurrxx

aran link said:
The tank is 54 g, i am using coralife HQ t5(2 white and 2 blue light) sorry i am not familiar with the right terms  ???, i am using coralife Super skimmer 65G! which make so much noise :(

Is the loud noise vibration noise? if so, not sure if it's a maxi jet pump on that skimmer? or other but try putting the suction cup bracket under the pump, or rest it on something with reef safe silicone on the bottom. (I just put silicone on scrap pieces of acrylic and rest my pump on it. it'll dampen the noise)

If it's not a vibration noise someone else will have to throw out an idea  ;D

A

aran

thanks all , you guys are very helpfull! :)
will do as suggested!

A

aran

few question please :

how often and how much water should i change?

how do i clean the bottom of tank with not damaging the coral and sucking them in?

i don't have the RO/DI water system what and where should i get it any recommendation?

thanks

msteane

I'd say either 10% every week or 20% every other week.

how do i clean the bottom of tank with not damaging the coral and sucking them in?
You shouldn't have to clean the bottom of your tank.  If you have diatoms (reddish brown slime) that means your tank hasn't fully cycled and if you have algae growing that means that you're nutrient levels are off (likely culprit is high nitrates and/or phospates).  You may beed to get more flow near the bottom of the tank to ensure detritus is stirred into the water and can eventually break down and make its way to the skimmer.

i don't have the RO/DI water system what and where should i get it any recommendation?
I got mine from bulkreefsupply.com.  Good prices and good quality units.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
msteane link said:
I'd say either 10% every week or 20% every other week.

You shouldn't have to clean the bottom of your tank.  If you have diatoms (reddish brown slime) that means your tank hasn't fully cycled and if you have algae growing that means that you're nutrient levels are off (likely culprit is high nitrates and/or phospates).  You may beed to get more flow near the bottom of the tank to ensure detritus is stirred into the water and can eventually break down and make its way to the skimmer.

I got mine from bulkreefsupply.com.  Good prices and good quality units.

+1

I also got my rodi unit from bulkreef, dual inline tds meter is a nice option to look into (makes life easy).

I change 10-15% weekly in my frag tank, and 20% weekly in biocube.

My nails take care of my sandbed in biocube, and if you can at all try to adjust your powerheads so that there is minimal dead spots in your tank.

Victoss

jerry_doucette link said:
+1

I also got my rodi unit from bulkreef, dual inline tds meter is a nice option to look into (makes life easy).

I change 10-15% weekly in my frag tank, and 20% weekly in biocube.

My nails take care of my sandbed in biocube, and if you can at all try to adjust your powerheads so that there is minimal dead spots in your tank.

So you just use your nails as a plow and run them along the bottom? Ever get any grains stuck in them, I hate that  ;D

C

copperkills

I just let my snails clean the sandbed ;p I only use my nails to scrape the coralline off the glass!

Status
Not open for further replies.