Help for setup and improve my new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Welcome to the Frag Tank!

With your tank being 1 month old, did you do a cycle before you added your fish and corals to the tank?  Have you been testing your water parameters regularly and what are your parameters now?  Since it is so new, even if you did cycle the tank, you may get another cycle with a buildup of ammonia and nitrites while it goes through another cycle due to the bioload from your fish and corals. 
If your ammonia levels are above 0 please purchase a product like Prime to neutrallize the Ammonia and Nitrites while your tank completes it's cycle.  This will at least minimize the harmful effects that ammonia and nitrites can have on your livestock.  It will not remove these harmful byproducts, only neutrallize them so they don't burn the gills and stress your fish.
The tank looks beautiful  :)  I have always admired corner tanks.  It has the postential to become a stunning tank once you get over the first glitches experienced in a new tank.  Good luck.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Victoss link said:
[quote author=jerry_doucette link=topic=3720.msg32788#msg32788 date=1354916142]

+1

I also got my rodi unit from bulkreef, dual inline tds meter is a nice option to look into (makes life easy).

I change 10-15% weekly in my frag tank, and 20% weekly in biocube.

My nails take care of my sandbed in biocube, and if you can at all try to adjust your powerheads so that there is minimal dead spots in your tank.

So you just use your nails as a plow and run them along the bottom? Ever get any grains stuck in them, I hate that  ;D
[/quote]

Haha ssssssssnails. Lol

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
msteane link said:
how often and how much water should i change?
I'd say either 10% every week or 20% every other week.

how do i clean the bottom of tank with not damaging the coral and sucking them in?
You shouldn't have to clean the bottom of your tank.  If you have diatoms (reddish brown slime) that means your tank hasn't fully cycled and if you have algae growing that means that you're nutrient levels are off (likely culprit is high nitrates and/or phospates).  You may beed to get more flow near the bottom of the tank to ensure detritus is stirred into the water and can eventually break down and make its way to the skimmer.

i don't have the RO/DI water system what and where should i get it any recommendation?
I got mine from bulkreefsupply.com.  Good prices and good quality units.

actually diatoms are a brown powdery film,you only get them after a cycle and if nitrates are present the cycle is done,being a new setup patience is the key,especially after the cycle,read read read,there are volumes of information on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.