Help with proper if of this little crab

DerekL

I noticed this little crab on a millepora frag that I have I am wondering if it's a acro crab or a tiny gorilla crab. I now noticed it looks as if where he is sitting is causing the millepora to bleach. I think either way I will remove it from the coral and throw it into my sump as I don't want the millepora to get stressed out and die. Either way I would still like to know what it is for future reference.

harleymike

Super Active Member
My acro was white with a black unibrow. If its not hairy it's more than likely ok. Might be another type of acro. If its hairy, I would think its bad.
Google acro crab and compare pics.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i have a few acro crabs.. but they dont look like that, the black tips are usually a sure sign of a predatory crab but i cant id it for you

DerekL

Ok thank you so will it be safe for my sump? Maybe my reef lobster that I managed to catch the other night that now resides in my sump will eat it. Lol

DerekL

Well if he don't let go he will go for a bath in some bayer advanced complete insect killer. Hehehe. Then while he is rotting in coral reef hell he will have wished he just let go to live out the rest of his years in a pod filled sump.  Meet your ill fated doom little black clawed crab.

DerekL

Problem solved. Chased him down onto the base and well then easily flicked him in a little cup I use to thaw mysis in. Off to pod land. Hope my firefish eating lobster doesn't make lunch of you.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
DerekL link said:
Problem solved. Chased him down onto the base and well then easily flicked him in a little cup I use to thaw mysis in. Off to pod land. Hope my firefish eating lobster doesn't make lunch of you.

yup that aint a porcelin crab, good call.