He's Driving Me Crazy!!

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
One of my little boys that I have raised myself and have put into my adult tank is now pregnant with his third batch of babies. I emailed Ray last week saying I anticipated delivery towards the end of the week or the weekend. It is now Tuesday night and he still has not given birth! No warning fry, no dancing with his little mate...nothing! I have turned off the tank every night now for 4 nights...Aahhhh
eek7.gif

I took some pictures of him today but it was very difficult. My older male (this little guy's father) has taken it upon himself to protect his little boy and give him comfort and security in this time of expansion and I often find the two of them curled up together on what I like to call "the pregnancy plant". This plant has been a favorite of all of my males when they are pregnant and I'm not sure why. I took it out one day to clean it and my larger male wandered all over the tank, lost, and looking for it until I put it back in. He then curled around it and wouldn't let go for the longest time.
After taking the first picture I was finally able to get a front view of my little pregnant one. 2 minutes later he was hiding behind the big male again.

Jan-2015_zps9b2ef4df.jpg

In this picture you can just see his little head peaking over his dad. :)

Jan-2015-1_zps8a41886f.jpg

Here he is in all his glory. His pouch is partially hidden by the plant but instead of looking like he swallowed a pea it looks like he swallowed a grape this time. He looks ready to burst! My fingers are crossed that he will deliver tomorrow. I will be going down at midnight again tonight to turn off the flow so that the babies aren't sucked into the sump and Ray will get the phone call as soon as they arrive.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
My largest batch was 667 born in August 2014. This little guy had one baby for his first batch and 175 for his second batch. By the size of him I'm anticipating at least 300 this time. Ray has some of his second batch but not many have survived. Early batches usually don't do very well because the male is so young but Ray really wants to give them a try.

heath

Distinguished Member
good luck, I have read your other post and I see that your survival rate has increased greatly, I wish all the best with this batch..

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Well he decided to put me put of my misery and gave me a nice bunch of babies this morning!

DSC06157_zps94b77248.jpg

And immediately began working on another batch! Someone forgot to tell him that flirting leads to pouch enlargement...

DSC06158_zpscf16c8cf.jpg

I won't be raising this batch because I don't have room right now so Ray came to get them this morning. He is still trying very hard to raise them but isn't having the most luck right now. However, they at least have a chance at survival if I send them to him whereas they would have none with me at this point.

Last edited:

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
You have the most babies on this forum for sure. You're so good with seahorse, do you think of bringing in other breed to try out?

Yes I have thought of it and when I was in Florida this summer I fell in love with H. Abdominalis at Seahorse source.
HAbdominalis_zps66e9e5a7.jpg
HAbdominalis_zpsdb4599ba.jpg
They get to be 1 foot tall at times and I think they are fabulous. Dan had lots of babies he was raising. Look at that pouch! Just huge! I can certainly see how they got their name. Anyways, I have to have a chiller for them so I'm still thinking of it but nothing firm in mind yet. Just one of those things on my wish list! :) Dan told me he will help me get some when I'm ready. It was a truly amazing experience being able to tour his facility.

That is really awesome, i have never seen baby sea horses, great job man

Thank you so much. It has been a lot of fun and I certainly didn't expect the success that I have had with them.