High Salinity

Winks

Website Affiliate
I have purchased some live stock from my LFS. When I bring them home and start my acclimation, I always check the salinity of the bag that the live stock comes in as well as the salinity of my own system. I have noticed the the salinity of the live stock from my LFS is always around 1.030 and mine is always around 1.026. I check this with my Refractometer. At first I thought that my refractometer was not calibrated properly and that my salinity "must be" low! I then wouls use the calibration fluid that came with my refractometer and it was bang on 1.035. So I then checked some RODI water ( I know that this can vary a bit) and it would come up at 0. Now I am a bit confused ( which on a good day is not uncommon) by all of this and decided to take a sample of my water to the very same LFS that I bought the lifestock from and have them test my water ( which they were more than happy to do). When they tested my water with what I can only assume is the same refractometer that they test their own water with, mine came up at 1.026! So heres my question, would there be any reason why a LFS would keep their salinity that high? Mind you I do acclimate the live stock until the salinity in the bag is the same as my tank and I have not had any problems with the live stock but question the reasons for the high salinity. Any thoughts wouls be appreciated

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would be interested to know as well if it was anything more then just a mistake. Normally they keep it low for several reasons, I have never heard them keep it high

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
I would be interested to know as well if it was anything more then just a mistake. Normally they keep it low for several reasons, I have never heard them keep it high

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I will be following this as well.. its very rare that I ever get salinity much above 1.021, usually its a bit lower 1.018/1.019...

Nighthawk26

Is there any chance you are reading PPT? Just throwing it out there. As mentioned, I've never heard of a store running high. ALWAYS low for many reasons. Unless corals are in the same system, then they would be more around 1.026 or 35 PPT

Winks

Website Affiliate
They do keep corals in the same system. This has happened several times. I know they have 2 systems and one is always 1.030 and the other is 1.026. I have been reading both. Did a lot of research before I setup my tank to understand what the diference was.

Winks

Website Affiliate
Well I have an update on this. Turns out that my refractometer was not working properly. If I took more than one reading from the same water I would get a different reading every time. I took samples of my water to several different LFSs and all of them got the same salinity. I changed refractometers and got the same results as the LFS. Even trying to calibrate my old meter did no good. The calibration solution would also give me different results from it. I think I have it under control now. Had me worried.

Josh

scared me since we are from the same city and likely use the same LFS and ive not once tested the salinity of what i buy.... maybe i should start....