hippo tang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
My hippo tang is around 4 years old and when I got him he hadn't eaten anything but brine shrimp for the last few weeks. He isn't very blue at all, I started feeding him frozen herbivore food is that enough to help him get his color back? Or is it because he's old?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
There's another picture of him that's a bit better in my introduction thread if it helps at all.

Seggsy

Get some sheet algae/seaweed for him as well.  I just use the noori stuff they sell at the supermarket for sushi.  They should get this once or twice a week.  There is also a garlic supplement you can put on the seaweed that is supposed to help with nutrients/immune system.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Thanks ill stop by the grocery store tonight and see if I can find it.. Is it fresh or frozen?

Seggsy

It's dried in sheets, and comes in a plastic bag.  At Metro, it's usually in the deli or seafood area.  Usually kinda hard to find - good luck.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Found this at the local independant grocery store, was pretty suprised to find it there.. Hopefully its good to go, does it matter its roasted?

C

crazybizzle

read the nutrtional sheet on the back theres usually 2 different kinds of roasted 1 has  0% on everything and the other which i use usually has good numbers on all the stats 30% or better thats what u want to use plus what seggsy said about vitamins and garlic etc...

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Hmm should I keep looking for better? Is this stuff still ok for the fish?

G

Gietz

Y not just buy the sea weed sheets from your LFS, just a thought as I'm looking into getting this for my Hector goby now and tangs.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Well I have those frozen cubes of seaweed fish food.. And it says great for tangs right on the package, but I was concerned it wasn't enough, my tangs like almost grey with only a bit of blue. Thanks for all the help too guys.

C

crazybizzle

no thats not the right stuff duke theres nothing in that one thats good there should be another type in the store in almost identical pkgng. .or like others said buy it from the lfs but i know the kind i grab is 3 bucks for a 3 to 6 months supply compared to not that much from lfs

G

Gietz

Hey bizz, what store you get them from in Windsor? And what's the stuff called??
Hook a windsorite up lol

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Cool, im taking a trip to london tomorrow to restock the tanks cleaning crew, so ill see whats available there. Hopefully Dory gets her/his coloring back.

Seggsy

Crap - now I have to go read my noori.  Tangs been healthy though, so I guess it's OK - that's not the brand I use.  Used to use the LFS stuff, but it was waaay more.  GL

C

crazybizzle

i get mine at zhers/superstore, comes in a black package dont have the name cuz once i open it i seal it in a container and throw bag out. its not at the sushi section its in one of the isles with the chinese stuff, theres 3 different kinds on the bottom shelf kind of hard to find but its there.

G

Gietz

Got it!! It say roasted sheet tho?? If that will work? I also grabbed the one with the highest values

oakleyx

For my tangs I always have an algae sheet available. I would only buy from the lfs. The grocery store nori could have extra preservatives that r not good for your fish or your tank.

I also feed them once a day with frozen food. I alternate between herbivore food and mysis shrimp and soak them in selcon and vitachem. 

Never feed fish brine shrimp. They have no nutritional value.

I had the same issue with my tangs. I switched there diet and there colors returned. 

Hope that helps.
Dan

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
thanks man, ya the fish is back to healthy now, i've found a good all around mix is best, i feed them pellets flakes frozen nori, brine, mysis, frozen veggie mix and everything is very healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.