how do you acclimate your new fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giglio324

despite the fact i should be QT'ing new fish i was wondering how everyone acclimates new fish. Drip method. Cup of tank water into the bag every 10 minutes. how do you do it. i need to get this process perfect if i wanna buy any sort of delicate fish. thanks

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i get a small bucket, put the fish with their own water in it. drip method until the small bucket is full, dump half the water then drip again til its full, then put them in the tank.

xxmurrxx

Float bag for 10-15
Drip method
2 similar dollar store containers, one placed inside the other drilled with small holes on the bottom. Empty water as needed and continue acclimation. Once it's acclimated for a while lift the inner container out until the water drains and place fish in the tank.

harleymike

Super Active Member
float for half an hour, mixing the water form the bag with tank water every so often.
Im no pro at this, but i havnt managed too kill anything yet.
its simple and seems too work. ;D

Thmh

Website Affiliate
I temperature acclimate the fish while its still in the bag for about 30mins, then i just use my hand to scoop the fish out gently and place  it in the tank. also turn off the lights and flow down low.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
drip method here,i just looked through our library here and was going to post a link but.............nothing. i couldn't find one there,maybe some one could post an acclimation guide there

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I take it out of the bag immediately, and leave it plopping around on the table for a little while until it seems tuckered.  Then I just drop it in the tank.  They are so relieved that they aren't dead that they happily acclimated themselves to the new environment immediately.  You can't take it easy on new pets or they will walk all over you...expect things like clean water and regular feedings, stuff like that.  Take charge! 

spyd

Super Active Member
I use the blending method. I float the fish first to acclimate the temperature for a good 1/2 hr or so. Then, I just add 1/2 cup of water every 10 - 15 minutes. After a while, I drain half the water out and keep adding 1/2 cups of my tank water. Drain half out again, add some more and then move the fish to my display. Never had a single death doing this method.

AdamS

Show them a package of highliner and say "this might be you!"

I presetup my 10g with carbon filter and heater and match store salinty, after a quick temp acclimation in the bag, i throw 'em in the 10g and just slowly raise the salinity of the tank. That way i QT them for as long as i want too.

I put the 10G on the kitchen counter beside the fridge, that way i remember to feed it when i feed myself.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
I take it out of the bag immediately, and leave it plopping around on the table for a little while until it seems tuckered.  Then I just drop it in the tank.  They are so relieved that they aren't dead that they happily acclimated themselves to the new environment immediately.  You can't take it easy on new pets or they will walk all over you...expect things like clean water and regular feedings, stuff like that.  Take charge!

:?

ahahah made my day  ;D

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just read this piece of advice and will use it going forward. Sounds reaaaally useful and saves a lot of messy different acclimation processes. (or not lol)

"When buying a new fish, if you bring a bag of water from your tank to the store, then you don't have to acclimate the fish to your tank's water."

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Torx link said:
Just read this piece of advice and will use it going forward. Sounds reaaaally useful and saves a lot of messy different acclimation processes. (or not lol)

\"When buying a new fish, if you bring a bag of water from your tank to the store, then you don't have to acclimate the fish to your tank's water.\"

Ummmm....  Yea that will totally work XD

nitro069

I use the drip method for everything necessary or not. I use a 2l tupperware picture with a 1/4" airline hose knotted at the drip end and held in my tank between the tank and my mag float. I dump half the picture or so once it is almost full. i will do this 2-3 times which takes about 2 hours then pull the fish out, place in the tank and discard the water in the picture. works well for me and haven't lost anything yet.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Torx link said:

\"When buying a new fish, if you bring a bag of water from your tank to the store, then you don't have to acclimate the fish to your tank's water.\"

but wouldn't you have to acclimatize the fish to your bag of water?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
pulpfiction1 link said:
but wouldn't you have to acclimatize the fish to your bag of water?

LoL, that is the  :? of the idea lol. Apparently people started this rumor that it works. Salty Cracker probably started the rumor after if he had issues with his flopping around acclimation process.

Status
Not open for further replies.