How Does Your Salt Mix Stack Up??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef crystals: poorest performer of the bunch, H2Ocean was top pick, and all the other salts needed supplementation.  (For those that didn't want to read it).

Interesting that regular IO and Royal Nature didn't even make the review, but it definitely changed my opinion of H2Ocean, I might have to try some (never have before).

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I got 3 kinds of salt in the house right now... might as well add a 4th :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Interesting find. Thanks for sharing! :)

I would take these findings with "a grain of salt," as a lot of the discussion in this article and many other reviews are about surrogate endpoints, which may or may not lead to our ultimate goal.

Bottom line, many of us want our sps to look like those found in Darryl_V's system, and he uses IO as his salt mix of choice. I realize that a chosen salt mix is one variable of many. :-\

B

Bill@IA

teebone110 link said:

I would take these findings with \"a grain of salt,\" as a lot of the discussion in this article and many other reviews are about surrogate endpoints, which may or may not lead to our ultimate goal.

Bottom line, many of us want our sps to look like those found in Darryl_V's system, and he uses IO as his salt mix of choice. I realize that a chosen salt mix is one variable of many. :-\

The end result we seek is the same. The method or tools we use can differ.
As long as hobbyists know what the acceptable water parameters are they can prepare by choosing wisely.
I also have excellent results with Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean....but I monitor my water parameters closely and dose accordingly.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:

I would take these findings with \"a grain of salt,\" as a lot of the discussion in this article and many other reviews are about surrogate endpoints, which may or may not lead to our ultimate goal.

Darryl doesn't rely on just his salt of course, and that article just said that RC was the poorest all around, basically, you would have to add more 'stuff' to your system if you use it, not that it doesn't work. 

I tried it when i wasn't dosing and testing, and had poor results with it.  I recently went from Royal nature to red sea (I think) and just found that my calcium was way off (low).  To be honest, I've had the best results with royal nature salt, but don't shop in the spot that stocks it anymore, so had to switch to an alternative.  I'd like to find a good salt, and a reliable source, and stick with just that.  Hell I might look at ordering salt to the doorstep. 

B

Bill@IA

There are two things the hobbyist wishing to succeed at keeping coral needs to focus on.....

Giving the Coral what it needs to grow in the most stable environment possible (Stability is key)

and keeping away the things that hinder that process. (High Nitrate, High Phosphates, etc etc)

I certainly may have over simplified here but if you wish to duplicate the results of your self anointed master reef keepers one needs to understand what and why they do what they do and follow.

B

Bill@IA

teebone110 link said:
Interesting find. Thanks for sharing!

Bottom line, many of us want our sps to look like those found in Darryl_V's system, .......

If I may use a slight Hockey Metaphor here...

Darryl_V is going to be like our Wayne Gretzky......

Playing with him elevates everyone's game.

:)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Bill@IA link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=3174.msg26037#msg26037 date=1348083535]
Interesting find. Thanks for sharing!

Bottom line, many of us want our sps to look like those found in Darryl_V's system, .......

If I may use a slight Hockey Metaphor here...

Darryl_V is going to be like our Wayne Gretzky......

Playing with him elevates everyone's game.

:)
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, as Instant Ocean being Wayne Gretzky....

example

The Oilers had Wayne Greztky and won 4 Stanley Cups

The LA Kings, St. Louis Blues, and NY Rangers all had Wayne Gretzky, but could never get to the promised land!

Darryl is our Wayne Gretzky hoisting the cup
:?

It will be just a matter of time before he starts getting endorsements!

Status
Not open for further replies.