How essential is a calcium reactor to a sps tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
in my new tank i want to try some sps.
I have a calcium reactor, newer tank, dual chambered reactor, media, pump everything i need bascily.
should i put this online?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
From what I u derstand. Heavy spa gets expensive dosing with 2 part and makes the reactor worth it.  Light or medium sps can get by with kalk or 2 part.

Correct me if wrong

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Neopimp link said:
From what I u derstand. Heavy spa gets expensive dosing with 2 part and makes the reactor worth it.  Light or medium sps can get by with kalk or 2 part.

Correct me if wrong

Sounds right to me!

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
Brandon link said:
in my new tank i want to try some sps.
I have a calcium reactor, newer tank, dual chambered reactor, media, pump everything i need bascily.
should i put this online?

you need to get your tank up and stable before i would even toy with the idea of adding a calcium reactor

Noodle

Sps corals don't need a reactor. The need high calcium levels.  There are a few way to accomplish that. A reactor is one way. Dosing manually and automatically is another. Kalkwassr for limited requirements.  So there is never a "must".

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'd love to have a calcium reactor, but from what I've read they can be fickle and tricky to set up.  2-part is actually fairly inexpensive, I think I ordered a gallon of calcium chloride the other day and it was $20? That will last me a fair while, doesn't seem to be crazy expensive... ?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
The cost of the reactor and controls puts off a lot if people.  Eventually I think the reactor becomes cheaper because once its up I think it requires less money to keep it running.

But again I could be wrong.  And if something works stick to it. :)

I would definitely hold on to it and give it try later.  I like my gadgets as much as the live stuff:)

Status
Not open for further replies.