How I brought it back from the dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036229

Reefcentral link.  Might be of use to some.  I had -3- major tank crashes in my day, and this last one was from mostly just frustration and apathy, I was one step from selling it for parts.  NEVER in a million years would I think that a year later I would have sps thriving under LED lighting that I built. 

Some of the rock and most of the sand in the tank were 15 years old and had seen all the crashes.  Probably still harboring some heavy metals \m/ from when I used tap water for makeup water, and who knows how many other kooky things I tried over the years, like my attempt to dose kalkwasser or my chemical warfare on ich...etc etc etc. 

If it helps someone, that's what I would want.  This is supposed to be a relaxing, free time hobby.  I know more than most how frustrating it can be, especially when 'the tank was just fine for years, I don't know why everything just upped and died!!!"  From experience...a tank can last 4-5 years with mild neglect/abuse.  You can grow corals, even sps, for a while if you have good light, but without all the other pieces of the puzzle, you are heading, without question, for a crash.  Crashes suck donkey balls.  If anyone has questions, I'm nowhere near an expert, but I can bring a tank back to life, which is a hell of a lot harder than starting from scratch. 

Status
Not open for further replies.