How Much Water Flow

Shawn White

Hi everybody I am new to the saltwater game I have a 90 gallon aquarium with a 30 gallon sump I and curios about how much water to have flowing in my system I have a dc pump that can pump up to 2500 gph should I run this much water threw the sump or would I be better to slow down the return pump and add a power head or 2 to the main tank I'm my mind would that much flow threw the sump alow the skimmer to do its job thanks a lot Shawn

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I personally would want a power head or 2 in the tank even if they are smaller ones to get in spots where stuff might build up , your return pump should be fine plus it’ll have some head hight to account for , and if it’s dc you shouldn’t have an issue

Painter Steve

Donor
When I had my 75g with a 25g sump I ran a M1 at half speed and had 3 mp 10's running around half speeds as well. Want to make sure you don't have any dead zones where detritus can build and settle. Let your power heads do the work in the tank not your return pump. It will also depend on what kind of corals you want to keep as well, SPS like lots of flow.

wtac

From sump to DT, avg 5x turnover rate. The rest of the flow rate is based on various conformations of powerhead output "styles" (laminar and conical) to give you the flow pattern one desires without ripping off the polyp(s) from the skeleton/rock.