How to Custom WB Canon DSLR

jroovers

Super Active Member
Someone over on RC posted a easy step by step process to follow to custom WB your Canon DSLR.  Those who have a Canon body without the option of inputting 10,000k temp specific WB will probably find this helpful.  A pringles container lid will apparently work in place of the WB filter shown in the process, but I haven't tried it. 

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2319811

deeznutz

Just find something white, and take a picture of it by your tank.  Then go into your setting and
set customer white balance and just pic the last picture you took.  The differance might not be what you
expect.

I find just post editing is best, just shoot raw.

Austin

Agree.....Lightroom is my best friend

Austin L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I've been using this method since day one.. U get a much better balance using a Pringle lid over just a white spot in the tank. Shooting raw doesn't matter, u should still set a wb setting to achieve a better photo

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
I've been using this method since day one.. U get a much better balance using a Pringle lid over just a white spot in the tank. Shooting raw doesn't matter, u should still set a wb setting to achieve a better photo
Pringle lids are clear now. I was disappointed so I had to eat all of them in one sitting

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=5981.msg90607#msg90607 date=1397740780]
Pringle lids are clear now. I was disappointed so I had to eat all of them in one sitting
[/quote]

Ash yes.. Anything g plastic and opaque works too.. I think K I used a zip lock container lid last time. Futures hop sells wb filters for 10$ too

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Big_Als_London link said:
[/quote]

Between eating Pringles and writing your blog, when do you have time for anything else?

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Big_Als_London link=topic=5981.msg90610#msg90610 date=1397741383]
[/quote]

Between eating Pringles and writing your blog, when do you have time for anything else?
[/quote]I have no idea how anything gets done. It must be fairies. I'm off to blog about it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Duke link said:

I agree, there are limitations to what you can accomplish by simply shooting in auto WB raw then adjusting in post.  This may work for T5s and MHs but if you hope to shoot anything with actinic or LED supplementation, or strictly LEDs or actinics, it is going to be much more difficult.  If you can get it as close to WB'd as possible straight out of the body, you can then tweak it in PP as opposed to going to more drastic measures with the tint and colour sliders to try and find the closest match.  I also find that IQ suffers when doing more in post, compared to a shot that is close directly out of the camera.

What was pringles thinking, they have potentially lost out on a secondary market by going to clear lids.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
jroovers link said:

I agree, there are limitations to what you can accomplish by simply shooting in auto WB raw then adjusting in post.  This may work for T5s and MHs but if you hope to shoot anything with actinic or LED supplementation, or strictly LEDs or actinics, it is going to be much more difficult.  If you can get it as close to WB'd as possible straight out of the body, you can then tweak it in PP as opposed to going to more drastic measures with the tint and colour sliders to try and find the closest match.  I also find that IQ suffers when doing more in post, compared to a shot that is close directly out of the camera.

What was pringles thinking, they have potentially lost out on a secondary market by going to clear lids.
[/quote]

I totally agree. While I know wb supposedly doesn't matter while shooting raw I can say from experience at least with canon cameras wb data is stored In the raw files and does affect the photo in post processing also, Ike u said tho if your camera has the 10k setting, you can get close using it.
I also use the wb adjustment feature to fine tune it on the camera.. Then pp only leaves cropping and sharpening.. Etc etc. Which makes for higher iq like u had mentioned.