How to get rid of Byropsis pennata

Status
Not open for further replies.

partydiver

any help on how to get rid of Byropsis pennata it's like GHA but isn't its more like Byropsis pennata. I've noticed my B.lue l.egged h.ermit crab eats it but not my red legged ones (No fish stores in Windsor have any B.L.H.)

F

Fraggle Rock

Manual removal but its risky if you don't get every little piece that you pull off it could spread even worse.

partydiver

I can't have the lights out I have coral...
Ive been removing it by hand and it seems to help a bit but not that much.
It seems like the trick to getting rid of it is Bluelegged hermit crabs or covering parts of the LR

P

phi delt reefer

You CAN turn the lights off even with heavy light sps. Cut back on things like mysis to every other day as well.

Is there cheato or macros in ur sump? You need something to rob the tank of the trace nitrates and phosphates. I read that calepura is better but more dangerous for it can go sexual in ur tank.

F

Fraggle Rock

You can do all these things and every little bit helps, its not something thats gonna go away unless you get a little aggressive with it.
Here's what I would do.

Start out by having an empty bucket, syphon, small fish Net and a good sized bucket of mixed saltwater.
Turn off your filters and powerheads.

Then you can start the manual removal, keeping the small fishnet in other hand to catch any stray pieces of algae that float away.

Once you've removed as much algae as you can by hand or your hands cripple up (whatever happens first), you can do a nice big water change syphoning out any little bits you may have missed. Also go over all the little spots you picked from with the hose.

Then follow up with the 3days lights out technique, making sure to keep as much light out of the tank as possible. I'm sure there's another thread about this on here so wont go into detail.

When you turn your lights back on, Do another descent sized Water Change and add a few smaller pieces of different kinds of macro see what ones grow the best and are to your liking. I wouldn't go too overkill on the macro algae if your running a smaller system as it can sometimes affect Oxygen levels in the tank, But some is definitely  a good idea.

Now after all this you still have some thats bugging you, Just keep up with the manual removal followed up by a good sized
Water Change once a week or so. All in all just hit it with everything you can, thats a natural solution.
Avoid chemicals there not needed, just be aggressive with it and relentless and you'll see a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.