Hypothetical - Legality Pending

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So.

IF this hippy government of ours does indeed legalize recreational weed, AND allows home growing (of 4 plants), who MIGHT be considering using our leet lighting skillz for a personal-size grow op?

I'm half-assedly looking at LEDs and spectrums now, I mean, who knows if it's really going to go through, and who knows if they actually will allow tiny grow ops (I think Quebec is going to fight that).

But hypothetically, do you think the same spectrum range we use for sps would work on plants? I see a lot of different listings for reef vs horticulture fixtures, but the spectrums seem to look similar (or aren't listed at all).

Other issue is cost... selling it will likely still be really illegal (maybe worse than now, since the government will be the drug dealer you're competing with), so the cost of the fixtures would have to be less than the cost of just buying weed from the LCBO.

Any thoughts? Hypothetically of course.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would be , but ... I hate my job. I drive in the US I still will be doing volunteer drug testing with my company. Maybe once this passes they will up the US drivers pay as a bonus incentive to keep crossing the border.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Matt1997

I always heard high pressure sodium vapor lamps are what you want to use for growing. I personally won’t be partaking in growing

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
No ones going to be growing weed for profit or even home use. Unless you’re into it as a hobby.

Reason:
Heat lights are hot have to run long cycles
Smell like living with a skunk
Not as easy to grow a good yield it’s a weed yes but you have to have some skill.
Cost, yo the grow-ups stole the electricity not because of what they were doing (Wynn)
Labour intensive you have to water them and monitor them.
Last cheap high quality weed at the local store.

That’s why nobody grows tobacco

If you want to make money buy $WEED on the stock market. I made a few sheckles last month on it. But sold and have $$ in other stocks

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
There's some videos on youtube showing side by side growth from led's vs sodium lights. LED can be superior if spectrum is right.

As for growing weed to sell...no I don't think that would be a good idea... but for personal use or "hey what the hell" trying it. I do agree smell would be an issue, but care would more or less be a labour of love.

I also don't think the government will give any kind of deal on weed at the LCBO. I think they were up to something like 28% tax last time I bothered to look (Federal sin tax and HST on sale). So unless they can come up with AAAA bud for less that $12 a gram, taxes in, I'd rather just grow a plant or two.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
There's some videos on youtube showing side by side growth from led's vs sodium lights. LED can be superior if spectrum is right.

As for growing weed to sell...no I don't think that would be a good idea... but for personal use or "hey what the hell" trying it. I do agree smell would be an issue, but care would more or less be a labour of love.

I also don't think the government will give any kind of deal on weed at the LCBO. I think they were up to something like 28% tax last time I bothered to look (Federal sin tax and HST on sale). So unless they can come up with AAAA bud for less that $12 a gram, taxes in, I'd rather just grow a plant or two.

Homegrown will be a hobby/ labour of love situation for sure. If you want to be that guy at the party with his home brew trying to get everyone to try it while everyone else brought the “Premium preferred beer” ;)

Edit: you might not know but real estate agents ask you if you’ve ever grown in your home “mold issues” good luck trying to sell your grow op.

Not to mention the issues with your insurance company when you have a claim.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Homegrown will be a hobby/ labour of love situation for sure. If you want to be that guy at the party with his home brew trying to get everyone to try it while everyone else brought the “Premium preferred beer” ;)

Edit: you might not know but real estate agents ask you if you’ve ever grown in your home “mold issues” good luck trying to sell your grow op.

Not to mention the issues with your insurance company when you have a claim.

A grow op is different then a few plants. A 100 gallon aquarium system will generate a lot more mold then some plants.

Yes some insurance companies probably will use it as a reason to not pay a claim...but how are they going to know you had 1-4 plants ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We do classify a grow op 'technically' as 4 or more plants, with 50 being the sort of "holy shit" level, and upwards. I've been in 2 that were busted, absolutely insane how they get to the mains to hijack hydro.

At the end of the day maybe better to just go buy the shitty mall dope, er I mean high quality LCBO dope... might be more effort than it's worth I suppose. Plus who knows, Trudeau may procrastination right up until the election next year, or maybe never.

dale

the common aquarium spectrum is great for the vegetative stage of the plant, when it comes to the flowering stage they like a warmer colour, 2700k or so. for wattage needed to grow quality weed in a 5x5 area is upwards of 8oow for led and 1000 to 1200 for mh or hps , plus nutrients, dehumidifier, exhaust fan with carbon filter for smell reduction, circulation fans.. you could easily get 1.5 lbs or so every 3-4 months...... at least, thats what i heard....

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There are several hydroponics stores with available lighting suggestions. There is one T5 light I used to use on my frag tank that is available at a hydroponics store.

dale

There are several hydroponics stores with available lighting suggestions. There is one T5 light I used to use on my frag tank that is available at a hydroponics store.

t5s do well in the early stages of growth,

RobH.

I suggest start your plants early indoors under t5 or a t5 led combo them move them out with your tomatoes there is no need to hide them in the house unless you are afraid of getting ripped off then I suppose you might need to invest in a Rotwieller.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
I'll show you how it's done with LED's @Salty Cracker, I mean I have no clue how to do that;), and if your looking for LED's go with evergrow, usually using red, white and Uv's, also a Co scrubber will rid the smell, I mean I think that's what they use :confused:

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
I suggest start your plants early indoors under t5 or a t5 led combo them move them out with your tomatoes there is no need to hide them in the house unless you are afraid of getting ripped off then I suppose you might need to invest in a Rotwieller.
His shepherds are intimidating enough...