I’m Bored Build

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
so I bought a new house and moved in about a month a go. Plan is a 240 or bigger in wall reef in the basement but realistically it’s going to be a year before the basement is finished and I’m bored of not having a tank!!

Picked up a 82 gallon drilled miracles tank yesterday and a basic steel stand tonight which down the road I’ll skin. Once I set up the large in wall tank this tank will become a frag tank but for now a reef :)

I’ve only plumbled one tank before and had help 5 years a go so I’m a bit worried about the plumbing but will be doing a lot of research tomorrow.

For lights.... Hmmm... currently have 3 black box led’s but the WiFi controllability never worked well so don’t think I’ll use those . I also have 1 AI prime hd so I could get two more of those or I’m also thinking about getting 2 AI hydra 52’s...

Return pump I’m open to suggestions but thinking vectra M1 or L1... would the M1 be strong enough for a 75 gallon?

Tonight I’m sanding then painting the stand.

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
M1 should be enough for sure. Do up the 2 AI Hydra's, great choice there. Although you could probably get away with 2 AI Prime depending on your dimensions. They can do a 24x24" spread and stretch to 36x36, but I would not push them that far. There were a lot of AI Primes at Fragfest and the colors were amazing. Good luck in the up and coming build.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
M1 should be enough for sure. Do up the 2 AI Hydra's, great choice there. Although you could probably get away with 2 AI Prime depending on your dimensions. They can do a 24x24" spread and stretch to 36x36, but I would not push them that far. There were a lot of AI Primes at Fragfest and the colors were amazing. Good luck in the up and coming build.
I was thinking 3 AI primes or 2 hydras... I really don’t know... had good success with the AI prime on my last nano tank so I know it can grow sps and buying two more primes would be cheaper then two hydra 52s and I do need a mp40 which will 500ish but the hydras are so tempting!!!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Another option is always keeping the future build in mind. Are you going to keep this 75 going or are you going to shut it down? Maybe then the Hydra 52's is a better choice just to add to the new tank.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Another option is always keeping the future build in mind. Are you going to keep this 75 going or are you going to shut it down? Maybe then the Hydra 52's is a better choice just to add to the new tank.
I’m planning on this tank becoming a nice frag tank down the road. I also need a new sump which I’m thinking will be the sump for this tank and the future display tank so I’m thinking about doing one of those large rubber sumps that’s 200 gallons plus

Bigfish

I have the m1 running my 120g. Flow is good, and it's very quiet but the first pump burned up after 8 months, power supply was 140 degrees. Fought with ecotech to replace it which they finally did but all the shipping was at my expense costing around $120 The replacement has randomly froze up on me twice now and had to be factory reset. The power supply still still get quite warm but I mounted it outside the stand to get better airflow around it. I strictly use it as a return pump. Never switched modes or used any of the other features. I keep my old Eheim close by. Don't get me wrong, I like their designs, but their customer service is poor. You can find lots of others that have had the same issue with these pumps if you google search.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I have the m1 running my 120g. Flow is good, and it's very quiet but the first pump burned up after 8 months, power supply was 140 degrees. Fought with ecotech to replace it which they finally did but all the shipping was at my expense costing around $120 The replacement has randomly froze up on me twice now and had to be factory reset. The power supply still still get quite warm but I mounted it outside the stand to get better airflow around it. I strictly use it as a return pump. Never switched modes or used any of the other features. I keep my old Eheim close by. Don't get me wrong, I like their designs, but their customer service is poor. You can find lots of others that have had the same issue with these pumps if you google search.
I’ve heard a few people having this issue so I’m not set in he M/l1... I’m definitely open to pump options

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Stand measurements turned out to not be what I was told they where and a little to short front to back. I guess I’ll cut three 2X4’s today and put then under the sides and one in the middle to support the over hang.

1D5E1009-6763-4DDC-9BCF-8F204990F9A2.jpeg
E4B409B7-4DC9-4FEA-9793-F385CEA9CE8E.jpeg

Stand measurements turned out to not be what I was told they where and a little to short front to back. I guess I’ll cut three 2X4’s today and put then under the sides and one in the middle to support the over hang.

View attachment 17005 View attachment 17006
Hey Derrrick I would put over hang on back end with a support in middle then support not in the way for sump. If you need a hand with anything let me know.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
So the holes in the bottom of the overflow are 2.5 inches and the holes in the top corners for the returns are 2 inches... went to big als to get bulk heads and he has the ones for the 2.5 inch holes but said he’s never heard of a tank having 2 inch holes and had never seen that size bulk heads... anyone seen 2 inch holes before or is there a way to make these holes work ??

Matt1997

Measure in mm. If it’s 52.4mm it’s likely a schedule 40-1 1/4” bulkhead. If not, the tank looks like a miracles. Give them a call.

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
Well I haven’t don’t plumbing in 5 years and had help then so I’m hoping I don’t flood the basement !

Got the drains done properly, I think??

Waiting on bulk heads I had to order from miracles aquarium to arrive today then will attempt the return...

6A9B2371-E029-41BF-90E1-5CDE342ACB44.jpeg
8AA9E595-1161-458C-B149-46EFEAC4C7BA.jpeg