I got a slug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seggsy

(Monty Python reference there)
Just got a new piece of coral in the tank, and noticed on the front glass a small white slug.  Looks like a smallish snail with no shell.  Sorry, no pic right now.  Any worries of this being an evil hitchhiker that I should crush?

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Seggsy link said:
(Monty Python reference there)
Just got a new piece of coral in the tank, and noticed on the front glass a small white slug.  Looks like a smallish snail with no shell.  Sorry, no pic right now.  Any worries of this being an evil hitchhiker that I should crush?

If it's a nudibranch KILL IT!!!! hahaha , but seriously kill it.

C

crazybizzle

It depends on what kind of slug/snail with no shell that u have the pic u put up is a nudibranch but there are others that are good i started with 3 in my tank that look like the pic without the spikes and theve breeded like crazy but they are algae eaters there on the glass all day eating i know have about 20 the biggest ones are a loonie size, try to get a pic because they could be the good ones if not kill it or throw in your fuge.

Z

ZAX

mine has no spikes either, see them on the glass sometimes. Don't see them right now tho....

C

crazybizzle

When i get home ill take a pic of mine for ya that i know are safe but if u can get a pic thou so we can distinguish

Seggsy

Thanks much.  Can't find the bugger now.  Is there a good reference websit for slug ID?  I couldn't find one.  At least he didn't have all the spike from the one pic'd above, so hopefully he's OK.  If I get him, he may go into the sump for now.

I

imarock

Any Chance it is a limpet.  I used to get them in my tank from time to time.  They are a small little algae eater.

Seggsy

Nah, I looked up limpets, and they have shells. I do have a few of them (if I searched right).
This was a plainish, whitish slug, about a 1/2 in long, maybe a bit smaller.  Stayed on the glass for an hour or so, and now gone.  If I find him again, I will try to get a pic, or a better ID.  Man, it had better not decimate my zoas!!!! :mad:

C

crazybizzle

look at zax pic of stomatella thats what i have and maybe what youve been trying to figure out if urs is......hopefuuly thats what u have

Seggsy

WHEW!  My bad, looks like he's got a little shell (doesn't seem to fit too well).  I had been looking mainly at the foot through the glass when I saw him.  So...he can stay, right?  Glad I didn't have to hunt him down and kill him.

D

Dr BlueThumb

Maybe a chitton?

Chitongoodsomepeoplesellthem.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.