I Was Bored Today...so I Made A Second Sump

hark

so i made a second sump, i think this one will be just to grow out macro and other low flow stuff (maybe a spot of a gfo reactor. using mostly scrap 3/8" acrylic I have had laying around from other various projects it is 16"high x 27" long by 18" wide. I am going to tee a line off my return and then have 3 tubes connecting it to the main sump to drain it back there, I am sure one will do but having 3 is for extra security :)

Given I was low on adhesive, I stopped by pasticworld in north york today and picked up some 3" acrylic tubing as well as the glue, going to make a few biopellet and gfo reactors from it i think. if i have extras i will put them up for sale on here as well...well see how it goes first

BTW - i stocked up on weldon as i was running low so if anyone needs a bit in a pinch, happy to let you borrow some but dont expect to do an entire tank project with my loan offer
IMG_20150213_202236.jpg
:)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Looks good

Wish I had the skills and knowledge to do acrylic work. I have tons of ideas, but no skills :(

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2
You need to come spend an hour in my basement and we will make ya a view box so ypu get some practice lol its easier than glass imo.... and hark dont waste your money on weldon you can visit any place that sells solvents and get 4 litres of methylene chloride for $38 which is enough for an acrylic house lol i always have lots here but monarch oil on victoria st. is where i get mine weldon is 90% methtlene chloride and 10% mek as a stabilizer to make longer shelf life instead of evaporating :) i checked their msds sheets

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
By lowering volatility it provides a bit more working time and better weld penetration especially at higher temperatures. True of 3 and 4 but for high strengh bonds Weldon 40 is the way to go.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
worked great for my sh tank with hob sump and my large sump for my 125 gal... straight methylene chloride on a 1/4" x1" surface has a 1260lb break resistance if you want it stronger you just add a lil mek to lower volatility thats all weldon does you just pay for the name the msds sheets tell you quantity of each for every type of weldon :)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
You need to come spend an hour in my basement and we will make ya a view box so ypu get some practice lol its easier than glass imo.... and hark dont waste your money on weldon you can visit any place that sells solvents and get 4 litres of methylene chloride for $38 which is enough for an acrylic house lol i always have lots here but monarch oil on victoria st. is where i get mine weldon is 90% methtlene chloride and 10% mek as a stabilizer to make longer shelf life instead of evaporating :) i checked their msds sheets
I might have to take you up on that offer steve.

I have all kinds of ideas rattling around in my head, but just don't know how to work with acrylic

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

hark

That's actually what I got, but was too lazy to.type the name so I said weldon.since people know what that is:)..i got a liter for 10 bucks

The actual weldon for the squeeze jar was.8 bucks I think but you get way less obviously