Ich

harleymike

Super Active Member
Its my own fault. Didn't quarantine any fish.
Got them from 3 different places. I noticed one had spots a few days after getting them.
Piss me off.
Now they all have it and I would say two are dead in the next couple days.
Nope, cant catch them or treat them. Not possible.
It will have do what it does, and there goes four hundred dollars or so in fish.

I don't really have the room for a quarantine tank, but after i get through this, I am going to seresouly look at setting something up.

What a piss off.

harleymike

Super Active Member
All I have to say is Quartine your fish. I don't care where they come from or what the guy selling them says.
This sucks.
Very frustrating. I trust no one from now on.

I will be looking for a small biocube to use as quartine once Im through this crap.

WiredWeasel

Polyp lab medic is hydrogen peroxide in a dehydrated form and maybe some other undisclosed additives . Probably sodium percarbonate of some sort that breaks down into hydrogen peroxide when in solution again. Kills free swimming ich in theory. Would probably need 30 days at least of continuous dosage to kill all potential encysted ich. I've used this product in the past. Without any success. You can probably dose straight hydrogen peroxide to a similar effect. You can probably find dosage amounts online.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I personally use it anytime I add a new fish to the tank. I try and start dosing the day before. It is a treatment, not a cure for Marine ich. Bu the sounds of it with how quickly it attacked your fish that it lost likely was velvet. I will post more later. Out with the family at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

harleymike

Super Active Member
Ok, Wont waste my time then.
I will run fishless for a couple months. ( looks like my engineer goby may make it) so 1 fish for a couple months.
Then QT new fish and start over.

jack

Have you seen the ginger powder videos on YouTube I would give that a try you got nothing to loose

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

WiredWeasel

Have you seen the ginger powder videos on YouTube I would give that a try you got nothing to loose

Unfortunately it's been proven by several scientific studies that the use of appetite stimulants, such as ginger and garlic, do not work. While it may seem like it works the ich just remains internally not visible to human eyes.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
The idea of the appetite stimulant is to keep the fish eating and strengthen its immune system so it can survive the pathogen

WiredWeasel

The idea of the appetite stimulant is to keep the fish eating and strengthen its immune system so it can survive the pathogen

Survive and endure the infection yes. But long term survival past the point where ich reproduction becomes unviable? Unlikely. Especially since we add tons of coral and other fish to our system with potentially encysted ich. There is a reason why no large public aquariums use garlic and ginger as part of their quarantine procedures.

harleymike

Super Active Member
So I am going to set up a QT tank. Once i treat with copper in the QT tank can i use it to QT corals at a later date or is the copper in there for ever.
Also every time i add inverts, how do i treat them to make sure they are not carrying a new parasite to the tank.

jack

So I am going to set up a QT tank. Once i treat with copper in the QT tank can i use it to QT corals at a later date or is the copper in there for ever.
Also every time i add inverts, how do i treat them to make sure they are not carrying a new parasite to the tank.
I believe it's 8 weeks for each new addition that's the ick cycle

harleymike

Super Active Member
Just finished. Went and bought a 32 gallon package deal. More than i wanted to spend, but it looks good too as it will be in my dinning room.
Tore my display apart. All fish are in QT tank now and first dose of treatment in.
Display tank looks like a bomb went off. Had a hell of a time catching the lawnmower blenny. Forgot about him.
Only broke one coral. I will let things settle then finish arranging the tank again.
Lets see how it goes.
Plan is 3 months no fish. Then all fish and inverts and coral will go through quarantine from now on.