ICK IN TANK

A

adam robinson

Hey guys,

Came back from a weekend away and well ICK outbreak in the tank I have already lost one black clown, an orange clown is showing ick as well as my Blue tang, yellow tang and sailfin tang.

what can I do to save the tank, thank you

A

adam robinson

Hey guys,

Came back from a weekend away and well ICK outbreak in the tank I have already lost one black clown, an orange clown is showing ick as well as my Blue tang, yellow tang and sailfin tang.

what can I do to save the tank, thank you

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
You could try soaking some food in garlic, to try and get there immune system back up there. Or if they aren't eating try lower salinity slowly.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
You could try soaking some food in garlic, to try and get there immune system back up there. Or if they aren't eating try lower salinity slowly.

dale

research hyposalinity... as far as i know its the only way to get rid of ich and save the tank... but once its gone its gone for good... unless you put it back in (with an infected fish)... i just went through it,, it was alot of work, but my fish and tank are fine now...

dale

research hyposalinity... as far as i know its the only way to get rid of ich and save the tank... but once its gone its gone for good... unless you put it back in (with an infected fish)... i just went through it,, it was alot of work, but my fish and tank are fine now...

Boga

You don't know way the fish died, right? The ick may be just a resultant of stress of a spike in ammonia from that fish. They had an outbreak because they were stressed by something .... Check you water parameters, take action if they are out. As Unibob said get them good food with garlic. Keep the water pristine.

Do you have corals in the tank? You can lower the salinity just little bit, otherwise you will jeopardize these inverts. I won't go lower than 1.023 SG.

Hyposalinity and copper treatments are the only ways to cure marine ick. Both need QT. All fish shall receive the treatment in the same if you want to cure them.

Ick can come from an infected fish, live rock or corals moved from an infected tank and even cross contamination between tanks with wet hands.

Some people prefer to bring their fish in "good health", meaning no ick outbreak, and then live with that, keeping the stress at the minimum. This is one of the debates that will never end.

I am in the middle of running a hypo treatment for six fish. 

Boga

You don't know way the fish died, right? The ick may be just a resultant of stress of a spike in ammonia from that fish. They had an outbreak because they were stressed by something .... Check you water parameters, take action if they are out. As Unibob said get them good food with garlic. Keep the water pristine.

Do you have corals in the tank? You can lower the salinity just little bit, otherwise you will jeopardize these inverts. I won't go lower than 1.023 SG.

Hyposalinity and copper treatments are the only ways to cure marine ick. Both need QT. All fish shall receive the treatment in the same if you want to cure them.

Ick can come from an infected fish, live rock or corals moved from an infected tank and even cross contamination between tanks with wet hands.

Some people prefer to bring their fish in "good health", meaning no ick outbreak, and then live with that, keeping the stress at the minimum. This is one of the debates that will never end.

I am in the middle of running a hypo treatment for six fish. 

monizb

Super Active Member
I feed garlic every day and with in 4 days it was gone get your self some garlic guard and some foods that offer garlic it helps

Samsung s3

monizb

Super Active Member
I feed garlic every day and with in 4 days it was gone get your self some garlic guard and some foods that offer garlic it helps

Samsung s3

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I've never seen a clown with ich and a clown to die of ich is unheard of IMO. Unless something else is really off.  Sounds like velvet... 

BTW most people have ich in there system its just that the fish so no signs, till they are stressed that is.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I've never seen a clown with ich and a clown to die of ich is unheard of IMO. Unless something else is really off.  Sounds like velvet... 

BTW most people have ich in there system its just that the fish so no signs, till they are stressed that is.

spyd

Super Active Member
I agree with Darryl. Having a clown die of ich is all most unheard of. They can handle a lot! Now, marine velvet is a different story. You will know soon enough if that is what you got as no fish will survive it.

If it is just ich, something must have set it off and stressed out the fish. But, as long as your fish are still eating, they can normally pull through. I had ich once and it never resulted in any deaths. I just mixed in some garlic puree with their food and made sure everyone was eating. After a week or so, it was cleared up in my tank completely and I have not seen any fish with it since.

spyd

Super Active Member
I agree with Darryl. Having a clown die of ich is all most unheard of. They can handle a lot! Now, marine velvet is a different story. You will know soon enough if that is what you got as no fish will survive it.

If it is just ich, something must have set it off and stressed out the fish. But, as long as your fish are still eating, they can normally pull through. I had ich once and it never resulted in any deaths. I just mixed in some garlic puree with their food and made sure everyone was eating. After a week or so, it was cleared up in my tank completely and I have not seen any fish with it since.

A

adam robinson

Here's an update,

I pounded the garlic to there food and fed the tank, the three tangs are doing much better and show no signs I did find the cause I believe it seems the heater was unplugged some how and over the weekend the temp went up an down lost the other clown but the tangs seem find no ammonia in the tank weird

A

adam robinson

Here's an update,

I pounded the garlic to there food and fed the tank, the three tangs are doing much better and show no signs I did find the cause I believe it seems the heater was unplugged some how and over the weekend the temp went up an down lost the other clown but the tangs seem find no ammonia in the tank weird

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
spyd link said:

I had velvet and lost both my clowns fast. A few tangs got it but it cleared up on its own with the tangs. I really think Adam had velvet.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
spyd link said:

I had velvet and lost both my clowns fast. A few tangs got it but it cleared up on its own with the tangs. I really think Adam had velvet.