Ideas On Refugium Leds

umbis

I'm setting up a new sump/refugium. Anyone got any links for something cheap that will grow cheato? The fuge is small - around 12 x 12".

DerekL

I am using a 13 watt Phillips 6500k led bulb I bought at Home Depot. My chaeto and other macro algae has more then doubled in size in the month that I have been using it.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I've been using the same 7w cfl warm white bulb since day one, my refugium is like a solid brick of Marco algae. You want to keep the color temp warm, I think that's the biggest thing to look for when growing algae

DerekL

Phillips also makes a 3000k led bulb as well. I think umbis is looking for led though. I just upgraded to my 90 gallon just over a month ago. I just know that the other macro algae growing in my fuge with the chaeto started off as literally as just a few strands and you can clearly see that it is growing quite well.

DerekL

Umbis had asked about Led to use over refugium. I have used cfl's in past with great results as well. I was just letting Umbis know which led bulb I was using with great results as well. Didn't mean to come of as if I was arguing.

spyd

Super Active Member
DerekL link said:
Umbis had asked about Led to use over refugium. I have used cfl's in past with great results as well. I was just letting Umbis know which led bulb I was using with great results as well. Didn't mean to come of as if I was arguing.

Bring it on!!! LOL. Just kidding. No argument here. Just stating either one works, with low wattages, to give him an option.

umbis

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I was hoping for something for $5.00 shipping included from China, but ah well, the LED from home depot looks good :D