ideas on this disease or parasite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexusnight

2013-02-13180909_zpsb65aa646.jpg
2013-02-13180956_zpscf169109.jpg

can anyone tell me what this is???? Started out on my kole and spread to everyone else. 5 losses total in less than 3 days!!!! i removed them to a hopital tank and treated with cupramine. Initially thought it was Ich,than figured marine velvet but still not sure. .no luck. think it was too late :'( It killed my kole in less than 12 hours or at least that was the time I noticed it. this clown was the last survivor and I put him out of his misery. by the time he was a gonner the parasite or whatever looked like it was eating his fins as well. I will be leaving my tank without fish for  eight weeks to b safe. This has not effected any of my corals or inverts. thanks for the help!!!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hole in head disease HID I think. My clowns had something that looked similar, turned out it was just them getting used to the stings in my tank. Went away on its own

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

davesolo29

Super Active Member
marine velvet

im going thru it.  most of my livestock is dead now.
was setting up my qt tank to treat with cupramine only to find that i cant get the bulkhead on the bottom of it to seal and it keeps leaking..
i just picked up a new product made by polylabs called medic.  supposed to be reef and invert safe.  gonna start dosing just before bed.  hopefully it works but it is most likely too late.

nexusnight

thanks for the input, def dont think its hole on the head. symptoms much diffrent and looks considerably diffrent. thanks though. Hey dave lemme know if that treatment works for ya. as far as I know anything reef safe really isnt and doesnt work. just throwing it out there.
Any one else

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
What a nightmare...... I am beginning to think fish are more difficult than coral......
Do you have any fish left davesolo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

davesolo29

Super Active Member
so far, i have lost 2 clowns, 2 bartletts anthias, 1 blue throat trigger, 1 saragassum trigger, 1 black top basselet, 2 mandorin gobies, a powder blue tang, and the 4 anthias that were the original carriers(or so i believe).
i have a coral beauty, a yellow tang, blonde naso tang, and a sailfin tang still holding on.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
ouch, that hurts to lose so many, so sorry to hear this, I know I was beside myself when I brought ick in, just shows us how important those quarantine tanks can be. I'll ask a question has anyone ever had a coral bring anything in that has affected their fish? Quite possibly the answer is no. No transfer from corals to fish, different critters but I thought I'd ask the question

davesolo29

Super Active Member
I did quarantine them for about a week.  they were eating, out and about, and looking real healthy so i put them in with the rest.
As soon as i put them in the tank,  they hid for 3 days,  and never ate again.  Then they looked like they had ick,  so i just fed well, and did extra water changes to try to get them settled in.  Next thing you know............ armeggedon.

NO FISH WILL EVER GO IN MY TANK AGAIN WITHOUT AT LEAST 4-6 WEEKS QT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fool me once, shame on you,  fool me twice, shame on me..... there wont be a third.  trust me.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Mr saltwater tank had a marine velvet outbreak, look how he treated it on YouTube, I'd post a link but I'm on my phone

davesolo29

Super Active Member
brandon,,, he lost.
12 fish in 6 days.  total tank teardown,  bleached rock and sand... start from scratch.

even mr.saltwatertank cant beat velvet

the worst part is, that by the time it is noticable, it is too late.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Wow! now I'm really frightened. I had no idea that velvet can't be cured

davesolo29 link said:
brandon,,, he lost.
12 fish in 6 days.  total tank teardown,  bleached rock and sand... start from scratch.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
davesolo29 link said:
brandon,,, he lost.

Ya that's what I meant, how he had to tear his tank down to get rid of it.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
nexusnight,  if you have a qt tank,  i would put em in there and start cupramine or something similar right away.  and not just the ones that look sick..  all of them.  then you may only lose the ones that looks sick.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I know next to nothing, but when I had the ich, I tired ich X, a waste of time and money, in a panic went out and bought yet another 30 gal tank, set up 2 hospital tanks, split the fish, treated both tanks. I didn't lose anything, but this was ich not velvet, it was really simple to dose. I left my 65 gal running empty except for inverts for a month. The ich never came back.
Good luck !

davesolo29 link said:
nexusnight,  if you have a qt tank,  i would put em in there and start cupramine or something similar right away.  and not just the ones that look sick..  all of them.  then you may only lose the ones that looks sick.

nexusnight

I did hospitalize all fish and have lost all within 3 days. Treated with cupramine. I agree though..never put any  fish in your tank with out proper Qt in place first. I am wondering though can disease like this come on live rock? This was the only thing new on the weekend and i saw at the lfs yesterday one tang had a similiar problem starting. Looked just like my kole and he was gone in 12 hours:-[.
Stuff can come with corals so you should absolutly always dip them with coral rx or something similar. I do practice this and find it makes all my corals very happy in the long run. I use a product by two little fishies thoughcant remember the name.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I'll keep hoping you don't lose everything, I picked up amongst some other equipment a hang on tank overflow system with piping for my 30 gal which will be my hospital tank
now time to get everything up and running and stop spending money.
good luck !

nexusnight

Imo a smaller hospital tank is best. 10 gallon or even 5.5 if you dont have fish bigger than 4 inches. This way you dont thow out so much water and salt. When your treating fish typically your going to change alot of water every day. A qt tank should ba at least 20 gallons and long is better than tall.
Someone should do a good write up on this and make it a sticky. Hmm maybey ill put something together. Ive done a crapload of research in the few days and have some real good info.
Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.