Identification help, please!

Mauricio

Hi all,

I have a couple of thing that I don't know what they are or if they're good or bad. One is the red spot on the rock to the right. It isn't red slime, this looks and has the consistency of red cellophane paper. It looks kinda cool, but I don't know if it's bad. The other thing is the greenish/brownish patch growing right next to the red spot. It looks hairy and closes/hides when touched (it kinda resembles a zoomed in tongue). 
Could anyone please help me identify them?
Here's some pics!

Thanks!

F

Fraggle Rock

I'm not really sure if the red stuff is actually an Algae? I have the same stuff in my tanks. had a piece of rock in a bucket with a lid on it, with no light for over a year. Took it out of the bucket and looked like it had more on it the when I put it in... anyone know if sponges can grow in a leafy form?

reeffreak

Super Active Member
It definitely macro algae. A sponge would die off in a heart beat in a bucket.

http://marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookredalgae.htm

F

Fraggle Rock

Another thing I've noticed about that stuff is when it grows it starts out as a thin layer with a teardrop shaped bubble, the same coloring but with a metallic blue tint and spots on it (very feint gotta be close to see it).

Mauricio

After looking at some specimens, I believe it is halymenia. Thanks for the responses. I'll have to wait until it grows some more to be able to tell for sure.