Indoor Generators

Canadianeh

Your welcome, most of the parts you can get from Canadian tire or princess auto the inverter you should be able to get thru a electrial supplier or order it on line.

Will this deep cycle battery from CT works?

20170204_105701_zpsdapfdtlz.jpg

Canadianeh

That will work, you will have to run the calculations to determine if it has the capacity you need.

I guess the link that you provided will have explanation on how to run the calculation? I haven't finished going through the thread.

I just need to run one 150W heater

Canadianeh

Will this deep cycle battery from CT works?

20170204_105701_zpsdapfdtlz.jpg
post #18 provides a link to help calculate

so according to the calculator, the battery that I posted above will run 150W heater continuously for +/- 43 hours! Wow that's not bad at all! This is do able. I can probably go with smaller Amp hours battery to save the battery cost since I don't think I will be needing to run the heater that long. In addition to that, heater don't run continuously, so that battery will last for more than 43 hours! Not bad at all. :)

Josh

Thats assuming full charge on those calculations, will your solar panels include a "trickle charger" etc etc

I beleive what your looking for is a UPS. Solar is nice but depending on what type of panel you use you are basically just using a UPS battery backup with an autocharger that uses solar instead of hydro. Difference is that solar power can often times have weird voltage spikes (be careful using on reef controllers / electronics)

If you are going to go this route i would probably just do a UPS style setup with a trickle charger. Im not sure that the solar will supplement the battery when you are in a "power outtage" also, i dont know about you guys but i rarely see power outtages and have sunny skies available for a panel to be generating power.

Canadianeh

Thats assuming full charge on those calculations, will your solar panels include a "trickle charger" etc etc

I beleive what your looking for is a UPS. Solar is nice but depending on what type of panel you use you are basically just using a UPS battery backup with an autocharger that uses solar instead of hydro. Difference is that solar power can often times have weird voltage spikes (be careful using on reef controllers / electronics)

If you are going to go this route i would probably just do a UPS style setup with a trickle charger. Im not sure that the solar will supplement the battery when you are in a "power outtage" also, i dont know about you guys but i rarely see power outtages and have sunny skies available for a panel to be generating power.

I am not planning to use solar panel. Use battery tender, automatic transfer switch, power inverter

Josh

Ahhh sorry misread a bit i guess!
Pretty standard i suppose. I personally have a UPS on my server on my PC, and it emails me when the power goes out and when it comes back on.

I realise not having any backup is pretty risky, hoping that the "email me" system is enough for me to get home and sort things out.

Side note. The UPS i use is from costco, they surprisingly have solid pricing on them.

Josh

If you really want to know what kind of load you will have post me the following. Tank size (preferably in weight of liquid) temperature you keep the house at and tank temperature.

Josh

1755 watts energy loss (approx) over an hour assuming your house cools off from your heat being off, id bet realistically you only need 1200 which is pretty easily handled by a UPS i beleive?

jack

hey guys i think for emergency cooling during power outages your best bet probably the most affordable build is to do a once through system off your domestic cold water. Run some 1/4 inch tubing from your sink cold water tap into the tank or sump inline with a solenoid valve to open, close the flow based on call for cooling and run the line into a large storage container or through an r/o filter or ultimately down the drain. the amount of water you will use will be pennies compared to the cost of loosing your tank. i never made one just a thought:)

Or you can run your r/o discharge line through a coil in your sump and down the drain and fill up some buckets with r/o water

Josh

Im going to go out on a limb and say that with all power off in canada, heat loss is your problem, not heat gain. But definately something to think about if you need to cool the tank as an emergency.

I can definately tell you that works, when we have major chiller failures at work for industrial plants we basically run fresh water into the tank and let it overflow into the drain while we get things fixed up, city water can be between 40-60'f typically so it gives you alot of "effective cooling"