interceptor? HELP

Giglio324

So i am in need of Interceptor. I have red bugs and they need to go. I call a veterinarian and they refer me to another vet who i wont say his name. I go there bring a piece of Coral basically as a donation at which point we pick off a bug but it under a microscope and examine. He takes a picture of it and posts it to a veterinarian Page where all of these veterinarian experts are supposed to help me. Here is the email i got back after i paid a 60 consultation fee.

"These are small crustaceans called ostracods (Class Ostracoda). They are not pathonic or at least never been known to be pathoegnic to fish or coral. Very common in the environment. In all probability, these are incidental. Would not treat, especially if coral is doing fine. Cheers,

Dear John
    You may ask any question in return. If you can document damage to the coral, I would like the pictures to send to VIN.
The doctor responding has 2 degrees including an advanced degree in aquatic Zoo Medicine.
I still would like to see your set up at your convenience.
Please call or E-mail any questions.
Dr. ---"

How do i go about getting this guy to sell me interceptor. He is trying to diagnose my issue when i have diagnosed it. I understand he doesnt want to harm anything in my tank but i even emailed him back and said id sign a waiver not holding him liable at my own risk basically. Help me out here. Or does anyone in the windsor area have an Interceptor tablet they will sell me. Thanks

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Giglio324 link said:
So i am in need of Interceptor. I have red bugs and they need to go. I call a veterinarian and they refer me to another vet who i wont say his name. I go there bring a piece of Coral basically as a donation at which point we pick off a bug but it under a microscope and examine. He takes a picture of it and posts it to a veterinarian Page where all of these veterinarian experts are supposed to help me. Here is the email i got back after i paid a 60 consultation fee.

\"These are small crustaceans called ostracods (Class Ostracoda). They are not pathonic or at least never been known to be pathoegnic to fish or coral. Very common in the environment. In all probability, these are incidental. Would not treat, especially if coral is doing fine. Cheers,

Dear John
    You may ask any question in return. If you can document damage to the coral, I would like the pictures to send to VIN.
The doctor responding has 2 degrees including an advanced degree in aquatic Zoo Medicine.
I still would like to see your set up at your convenience.
Please call or E-mail any questions.
Dr. ---\"

How do i go about getting this guy to sell me interceptor. He is trying to diagnose my issue when i have diagnosed it. I understand he doesnt want to harm anything in my tank but i even emailed him back and said id sign a waiver not holding him liable at my own risk basically. Help me out here. Or does anyone in the windsor area have an Interceptor tablet they will sell me. Thanks

Try another vet?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Get a dog and a new vet.

I would write them back and tell them that they dont know shat!  Do some research on the net and send it to him. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Dont bother trying to explain it to them..... here is the problem.....in order to prescribe medicine, they must diagnose a patient. The medicine then is prescribed to that patient based on standard practices or what they are legally told to do. In this case, the coral is your patient.....do you think they have a standard practice for diagnosing red bugs affecting corals? I dont think so.....therefore legally they are not able to prescribe interceptor to your corals.....doesnt matter if you sign a waiver or not either.....this will never stand up legally in their defense.....even though legally they cannot be held accountable anyways because they are practicing medicine but we wont get into that.....
Anyways, like darryl said.....get a dog and a new vet....
Or find someone who has it.......hope thinsgs go good for you!!
What acros are they affecting? Extent of damage?

spyd

Super Active Member
Buy 2 horses and 2 dogs then call the vets... Crap, I am sure I can get horse tranquilizers with no questions asked. LOL. No seriously, I would just keep trying new vets until you find one that will help out.

My vets office did research themselves, the vet prescribed me the right dosage and gave me the pills all for $30. If you are all out of options let me know. I can all ways mail some to you if nobody will help you out.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Here's some help.

Vet in mt brydges has my fish down as pets on record, I kid you not, and as so I can get interceptor for them whenever I want (since interceptor does expire).  I have 2 dogs registered with them but they are on something else (can't remember what, it covers fleas too), so they would have questioned having both that and the interceptor. 

anway, they had looked it up on the net and they were fine with the whole thing.  $60 for them to say "I'm not selling you a pill" is sort of crazy, IMHO.  Especially since you brought in a sample with the actual bugs. 

I should go and buy 20 tablets and sell them like a crack dealer lol.

Giglio324

Darryl_V link said:
Get a dog and a new vet.

I would write them back and tell them that they dont know shat!  Do some research on the net and send it to him.
Here is my response to what he said.
"---,
Thank you for the response. I feel as though these professionals do know exactly what they are talking about. The issue being they seem to be approaching the situation from a stand point of the coral being in the ocean. When the coral is the ocean these bugs have predators which keep them in check. The corals having these bugs is essentially like a dog having fleas, they wont kill the dog but they will irritate him quite a bit.  What we looked at were the Black bugs. Red bugs and black bugs are basically the same thing i just couldnt get a sample of red bugs because i would have had to take a big piece of coral out and essentially kill it for a sample. Read the articles i have attached links to and let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Gianmarco
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/corals
http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/6/aafeature
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14402"
if i was trying to buy them to snort and they wouldnt sell them to me fine. But its BS that i legitimately brought coral in. Paid the stupid thing and they still arent helping me. He wants me to pipette them up. I dont wanna be in my tank poking my corals with a pipette stressing out my fish. None of the corals are dying but i know that they arent good for them and that they can eventually kill them. I either need to break in this place at night and steal them or drive to london and one of you guys can help me out.

Giglio324

Thanks to my gf's parents who have a dog I got some interceptor. 2 medium sized tablets. Big thanks to reef hero for offering some to me. Greatly appreciated. I think I'm gonna dose my tank with 1/3 of a tablet for 12hr, roughly. Shut off the protein skimmer carbon and gfo during and see what happens
I'm gonna follow the article from melevs reef
http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

spyd

Super Active Member
When using 1/3 of the pill, just remember to crush the entire pill up, mix it up and then administer. Reason being, there is a lot of filler in the pill and you don't really know what portion of the pill contains the actual medication.