Interesting conversation/argument around the house lately.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=dale link=topic=6966.msg69979#msg69979 date=1385427353]
i highly doubt it was either of the dads idea (being gay doesn't make you an idiot) for the kid to wear a dress in the first place, and wearing a dress does not mean you are gay by any stretch of the imagination. im sure the kid will see the repercussions of his actions and make better decisions, and if were my kid i would just tell him what might happen and let him figure the rest out on his own,, as for your kid ,, very legit question.. sounds like its the other classmates reaction that got him in trouble, and i would treat it as such .. no biggie in my opinion..

I am thinking if the kid is doing it on his own will, then all the best to him :) if it's the parents telling him wearing a dress is ok after HE asks, I'm fine with that as well, but it is being forced upon the kid by the parents then 100% not ok IMO.

I am not "religious" where I go to church, I do believe in a higher power but won't give a name to it :)

I'm fine with all of it as long as it isn't being preached to me.
[/quote]

Which is the main thing, don't push your believe or view or gender down on anyone,
It's fine to say,
hey, this is what I think, ..... If your interested I'll explain why I think this, if not, then let's just not talk about it and leave it at that.

I'd get along better with someone who says their gay than a Boston fan though. :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Things are always better when people just mind there own buissness.

I did however just complain to the university hospital about "advertising" for a school play.

Title of play:  blood brothers

I asked the doctor what "blood brothers" meant to him. He said "oh that's when we were kids and would cut ourselves and share blood with our good friends...." I then said rethink what you just said and then ask yourself if this is appropriate for a hospital, it was down by the time I left.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Wow. That's a weird scenario. First, I think it is entirely acceptable for someone to ask the kid why he's wearing a dress. How it was asked may have come in to play, it may not have. Kids=curiosity, and I'd wonder myself. I think I'd have asked if he liked to wear dresses. Too many unknowns in this situation. Whether the kid chose to wear the dress, whether the dads told him to wear the dress. I'm assuming someone bought the dress for the kid. What was the child's reaction to being asked why he wore a dress? Was it staged for a situation just like this? It certainly is bizarre. I'd bet the school doesn't have a lot of this type of thing happening, and really weren't sure how to deal with it.  I have seen in the last couple of months 2 children out west who have at a young age decided they want to change their gender and the parents are supporting the child, but this is a complete change, not a single day. The one child has chosen to live his life as a girl. I'm not certain of the age, but it was young. Pre teen I think. It seems to me more and more that the kids just aren't allowed to be kids any more.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I do believe the parents have a care of duty towards their kids. knowing the fights and discrimination that goes against alternative lifestyles even to this day among adults how could they let their son be "lead to the slaughter" like this??? The parents must realize that this is going to be a controversial thing, especially with kids who have no filters in their heads yet at age 9. Curiosity will inevitably lead to questions at the very least, and potentially lead to teasing and torment that will follow this kid till the day he finishes public school, (and beyond)

These guys are idiots. Which one of these two brain surgeons figures "if my son wants to wear a dress to school I will let him." Without for one minute thinking of the kids well being. Kids can be evil, cruel little monsters towards one another when they want to be. They are relentless and without mercy when the horde decides to descend upon its prey. The parents thinking that allowing their son to go to school this way wouldn't cause any sort of backlash eventually is them being: 1. Super naive or 2. They are just plain ignorant to how kids will behave towards someone that is different.

Letting a kid at that age cross dress cannot be healthy for the kid either. Sure, they found love in the arms of a person of the same sex. That's great. I can't figure it out for the life of me how getting plowed by a guy would be fun, but hey. Whatever floats your boat. The kid is 9, perhaps he is gay as well, perhaps he isn't. And they are just encouraging their son to not repress any feelings or urges, and I can understand that they are probably counter arguing with the fact that they want their child to express himself how he wants. However, this is not an ideal world, and quite frankly it is far from it. They have to protect their son first and foremost.

By allowing your son to wear a dress to school, is pretty much the exact same thing as slathering him in blood and throwing him to the wolves. Sorry, there is no other way to put it. You are BEGGING for your son to get taunted and teased and perhaps worse. Your son wants to wear a dress? Do it at home behind closed doors. Society does not fully accept alternative lifestyles yet, and putting your son in this scenario unfortunately was a bad parenting call. This is a battle that they know and have experienced FIRST HAND! Hell, gay marriage was just recently allowed in the past few years, clearly there is still stigma against different lifestyles! Thinking that there would be no repercussions from this action is utter stupidity. It would be great that if all the kids would accept this cross dressing kid for who he is, but lets be realistic, that shit ain't happening. I don't give a shit if you are gay or not, so don't get me wrong here, I don't want this to come across as being anti gay. I am just making the point that society as a whole doesn't agree with yet and there are going to be people (kids and adults) that will ruthlessly torment this kid. I'm just being realistic.

As for your son Glen. I make no call. I know if I was 9 I would have asked the same question. Considering he was only given a "talk" I assume he was not a main perpetrator in the incident which may have involved teasing, but perhaps was the catalyst for the situation arising. I fully blame the parents for letting it happen in the first place. If they want to believe that life is roses and gumdrops and their kid can wear a dress to school with no fears, then I need to get on the same drugs that they take cause life ain't that easy and they best take those rose colored glasses off fast, before their son gets berated and teased to the point of real emotional and psychological damage.

In this day and age we hear of bullying among children for a hell of a lot less, and putting your son in this situation is just asking for it. Yes, yes in a perfect world their son should be allowed to wear whatever the hell he wants but this world is not even close to being the Utopia that his parents must think we live on....

spyd

Super Active Member
Honestly, I got teased at that age for wearing a matching shirt and shorts outfit... I could only imagine what wearing a dress at that age would envoke. Kids don't understand things at that age and it is up to the parents to help guide their children in making decisions. Wearing a dress to school, regardless of parents being gay or not, is not a good idea.

If the child was encouraged to wear a dress by his parents then I have a major issue with that. If the child wants to wear dresses, a discussion by the parents should have occured to discuss why that might not be a good idea. I have a problem if the parents are trying to push too much. Let the child make up their own minds much further down the road.

My sister is gay. I have no issues with her life choice. She has a son from the "pre-gay" era in her life. Do I see her pushing for her son to be gay... Not at all. Do I see him have some issues from not having a man / father figure around, yes absolutely. The real issue I have with her is her parenting skills and her constant need to flaunt how gay she is, but hey, not all gay people are like that.

Was your son wrong to ask why his friend is wearing a dress? No. I mean curiosity runs wild at that age. Should he have asked when other kids weren't around... Probably. But, like I said, he's a 9 yr old kid and that's what kids do. I am sure every kid was wondering the same thing and that's why they all spoke up after someone finally asked the question. I am sure that caused the boy to feel embarassed and teased, but, his parents should have warned him that would happen someday as long as he is wearing dresses to school and it all could have been avoided by his parents using their better judgment.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
There's also the fact that this happened in byron.  If that kid had worn a dress and went to a clarke or hamilton road school, he'd be dead, plain and simple.  My public school wasn't a diamond farm and you did your best not to stick out, and we -still- got into fights.  There was a class of 'developmentally challenged' kids at our school (not what we called them then), and they kept them literally in a pen outside away from the rest of us.  We would have been merciless even though today I want to go back in time and give myself a smack. 

The only advice I got about school from my dad I remember to this day "if a kid comes up and wants a fight, punch him as hard as you can in the nose, break it if you can, you won't get in trouble from me, don't wait for him to throw the first punch".  One fight made me untouchable all through public school, it wasn't until high school that I had to back it up.  My point in this is that sooner or later, that kid is going to go to high school, likely saunders.  SOMEONE is going to let the 'fun' kids know he used to wear a dress. It will happen, there's so much goddamn testosterone floating around a male teen's body, and they shove them all inside a brick bunker at the same time. 

Anyway, we're all rednecks, except Tony who's more of a yellowneck  ("getting plowed by a guy"  really?)

AdamS

spyd link said:
Honestly, I got teased at that age for wearing a matching shirt and shorts outfit...

My coworkers teased me one time cause I called my clothes an "outfit". Apparently real men only say "shirt and pants".

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdamS link said:
[quote author=spyd link=topic=6966.msg70023#msg70023 date=1385473162]
Honestly, I got teased at that age for wearing a matching shirt and shorts outfit...

My coworkers teased me one time cause I called my clothes an "outfit". Apparently real men only say "shirt and pants".
[/quote]

You should prob sue or something,
Work place abuse, just terrible,

Wait your not a minority, your not going to get anywhere with that.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
i wear shorts all year round    ...only time i wore pants for 2 days. was for my daddys funeral ... but i dont worry about matching or non matching a shirt to the pants. but if sumone takes a picture and i look.  i go WTF.  am i doin wearing a striped shirt. with a pair shorts that are striped the other way

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Good god I wear 3 layers of clothes and snowpants from April - June.    Screw cold weather, I love heeeeeeaaaaattttt. 

Somalia is starting to look real good right about now. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Poseidon link said:
I'm pretty much naked from April- nov, can't stand the heat.

Good to know... jotted into blackberry "no visit to Brandon, April to Nov".

I sweat like a pig too (do pigs sweat?), just buckets of it, but I love it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm almost albino so I can't be in the sun, but put me in 108deg shade with a margarita and I'm on top of the world. 

RYOUNVS

Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=6966.msg70090#msg70090 date=1385496886]
I'm pretty much naked from April- nov, can't stand the heat.

Good to know... jotted into blackberry "no visit to Brandon, April to Nov".

[/quote]

Uh oh.... I was wondering why he wanted me to come visit........