Internet In The Country

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Does anyone know what the best options are for internet off the beaten path? Country property?
We're looking at a place tomorrow but internet is an absolute must-have, and it has to be reliable and fairly quick.... anyone know?

heath

Distinguished Member
When I lived in the country the internet options sucked big time, check out execulink , that's who I used for internet and phone..good luck..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Ugh, I actually sold execulink their first servers. They came and picked them up with "borrowed" shopping carts. True story.

I'm good with minimal internet but wife can't do without for work. Sucks that there isn't a viable country solution in this day and age.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I'm about as far out in the country as possible around here, I have two options for Internet. Bell dialup or Xplornet. Price is decent service is ok. I'm kinda in a bad spot so I would say I'm at the worst of the spectrum. If you decide to make a deal, I'll send you a link as I get a referral deal of some sort.

heath

Distinguished Member
Ugh, I actually sold execulink their first servers. They came and picked them up with "borrowed" shopping carts. True story.

I'm good with minimal internet but wife can't do without for work. Sucks that there isn't a viable country solution in this day and age.
holy, I didn't have any issues with them when I had them..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Heh, no problem with them, I just can only picture them as a couple of hippies wheeling away with boxes in shopping carts going "we're going to be a big ISP company" :)

dialup is not an option (nor is bell), but I had explornet as a possibility from searching.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
I'm happy enough with xplornet. We watch Netflix on it but not at hd quality as it then lags. But we have unlimited to a point. I think we have 75gig once over that 1/2speed for remaining month no extra cost. Or pay more if you want full speed

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yeah there is a 500gig package we would get with as much speed as possible. It's tough because right now we have 250 Mbps download unlimited use, so we can have 5 people watching netflix HD all at once. It will be an adjustment if we decide we can't live without the property. I'm just getting claustrophobic with so many neighbours.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Some of what you can get with xplornet depends on signal received. Whatever I have is the max I can get other then more gig. No more download speed available for us.

heath

Distinguished Member
Yeah there is a 500gig package we would get with as much speed as possible. It's tough because right now we have 250 Mbps download unlimited use, so we can have 5 people watching netflix HD all at once. It will be an adjustment if we decide we can't live without the property. I'm just getting claustrophobic with so many neighbours.
there is something to said about living in the country, check out Shaw, they were taking about providing internet via satellite a few years ago when I had shaw..not sure if its available in the area, I know that they were doing test areas

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
The house has 2 satellite dishes and some square thingy way up on the roof, with a square receiver of some sort... that said, there are 15 windmills visible as you drive up to the property, and at least 4 when you are there. Totally destroys the vibe I was looking for (they weren't there 2 years ago). So FUCK liberals and their insane windmill strategy (why on earth didn't they just ask Britain or hawaii how the windmill thing worked out). So looks like we're staying in the city for now (I'll take annoying neighbours over non-rotating windmills reminding me how wasteful our provincial government is any day).

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That's the property, and it's funny, it's been on the market so long the windmills aren't even in the virtual tour, they must be putting the stupid things up one a week out there.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
holy, that is one beautiful piece of property, are the windmills close to the house and who gets the revenue from them...
They are within a few miles, but other selfish farmers get the $$$ (until they have to dispose of the towers that is). Believe me, it was a much nicer property before the towers went in :(

heath

Distinguished Member
yup, farmers are so hard done by... I noticed that the real estate agent has a Mt Brydges number, is it close to brydges.. my nephew has a custom built home between brydges and strathory that he is thinking of selling has 25 acres and he is a quad and its getting too hard for him to find good ppl to help with the property..

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
This one is out near ailsa craig, but we are half-assed looking anywhere "outside the city". My big thing is enough property to do target shooting on without upsetting neighbours, so it's a very tough search as houses tend to be really close to each other even if they each have hundreds of acres.