Iodine For Fragging

Granty

Hey guys I just got some iodine from Walmart and wondering if it'll work as a dip for fragging as it was very cheap. It says tincture of iodine 5%. Then in the ingredients it says isopropyl alcohol and purified water. So can I use this or am I stuck with buying fragging dip? I have coral rx dip but I'm not sure if it's proper dip for fragging?

Kman

Super Active Member
You can always test on a frag but since it has isopropyl alcohol in it I myself would not risk it. I am sure some of the less sensitive coral might be able to handle this but I would think the sensitive ones would not like it so much. I have never tested this so I can't say for sure that it would not work. But I would lean towards a no as the most likely. But I could be wrong on this. I myself would not use it.

Bece13

@Kman, everybody likes a bit of alcohol...:rolleyes:... I used Lugol's Solution in the past diluted with tank water till very light yellow. Don't remember if it had any alcohol in it or not. Just be careful as it stains everything if concentrated.

Kman

Super Active Member
I sure know people sure like a little of the silly pop. ;p

I don't think Lugol's has alcohol in it. From what I see online it is a is a solution of elemental iodine and potassium iodide in water. No mention of alcohol and most contain 94% distilled water, 4% potassium iodide and 2% iodine. But without a bottle to look at the ingredients list I can't verify that and I am sure depending on brand what goes into it could vary.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Lugols mixture has no alcohol...tincture of iodine does....both can be used diluted but lugols is the better choice and both can be had at drugstores.

Steve Peters

Depending on what your fragging, I generally don't dip frags as it can add more stress. I like to replace back in the tank it came from so the parameters are the same. If your tank is well kept with good water quality.... I just rinse in a pail of tank water a few times and then place on a frag rack with low but steady flow and lower light. They always heal quickly and the mother colony tends to get a growth spurt as a reaction. Again... depends what your fragging! Good luck.