Is It Possible To Build A Self-sustaining

shiftline

Website Affiliate
I'm convinced it is possible and have started a series of experiments to find out that magical combination!
So why would you want to do this? Well, Phytoplankton is the base food of the ocean.. it feeds your copepods.. which intern feeds your fish and coral.. Self-sustaining live food? yes, please!
Now ideally iI want to do this all in one reactor but will split it into two if need be.
My first question.. Can the culture be feed from tank water? If yes .. step one is golden.
If no.. then I will either have to pull form new saltwater or push it through a UV sterilizer first. (should do the trick)...
The next question.. Is there enough nutrients in tank water or will I need some f2 on a doser?
This will be a fun project! If you have done something similar i would love to hear your feedback.

John 1:6

I am new to salt but looking to setup a set of phyto and copepods cultures to eventually feed the Mandarin I want to stock in my Nano. I am curious to hear more about your project, but also a little confused about it. I am not sure what you meant by self-sustaining. Hope to see you post some updates and details in term on numbers such as how much phytos is need to raise the pod and how long it takes for the pods to double in populations etc.