is it possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazybizzle

Is it possible to frag my ellegance coral its getting to big for my tank. Also does anyine know how they reproduce??

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I would just sell it and buy a smaller one. Dales right, fagging is way to risky.

Elegance Reproduction...

I found this article by Richard Durso on another forum.

Upon closer inspection I could see it was no Aiptasia... it was a mini-Elegance!!I was amazed that this coral had dropped off a daughter colony without me noticing it. This process must have taken a significant amount of time. How could it have done that without showing some sign of stress? I quickly cleaned off the rest of the glass to see if I could locate any other daughter colonies, and I was able to locate three more, all of them in the back of the tank behind the rock work.

I noticed that in several locations the Elegance coral's outer oral disc was expanded beyond what is normal...
This oral disc, which is hyper-extended, starts to secrete a calcium skeleton separate from the skeleton of the rest of the colony. Apparently, this skeleton continues to gain mass, and its weight stretches the flesh of the coral that is holding it to the parent colony. Eventually, this weight is great enough to tear it away from the parent and a new daughter colony is created.

Google this
Asexual Reproduction of Catalaphyllia jardinei
(Elegance coral)
for the full article.

C

crazybizzle

pulpfiction1 link said:
how big is it?pics?

ok thanks for info guys...dont have any updated pics right now plus i just changed light setup so right now hes only bout6x6 by usually anywhere from 10 to 12 both ways ..pretty big to me anyway...might have some older pics in members tank page

eco-reefer.com

theres a cool write up on an elegance that is being propogated

go to www.reeffarmers.com (tyree's site) tonnnnes of eyes candy...

and check under LE Miscellaneous

Then click the elegance link.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.