Not open for further replies.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
This was growing way in back, never seen it before, it looks soft and moves a bit.  Sorry for the camera pic.

If its squishy, it's probably some sort of mushroom or an anemone. Doesn't look like a carpet though.

What about a hairy mushroom??

IMG_8969.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I've had a lot of mushrooms in my day, this just doesn't look like any of them, it is solid-attached to the rock to the rim.  I don't mind if it's a mushroom, I definitely don't want an anemone, especially a carpet...

spyd

Super Active Member
Definitely looks like a hairy mushroom. Just check to see if it has a mouth. You can all ways throw a piece of shrimp or something on it just to double check.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
It's the weirdest thing.  The 'disc' is rigid, but the little fingers on it are moving.  Unlike a mushroom where the whole disc is sort of, well, mushroom-y.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, I've let this guy grow a little bit.  It's growing back over the exposed skeleton on the upper part of the disc.  It's covered in 'fingers'. I haven't been able to get a piece of shrimp to stay on it without a fish grabbing it off, so I don't know if it eats.  Any ideas now?

R

reeffreak

Definetly not an anemone if theres a skeleton , thats all I can say not sure what else it could be tho . sorry

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
It almost looks like some leathers from the top down like an umbrella with all those little nubs eveywhere

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
jerry_doucette link said:
It almost looks like some leathers from the top down like an umbrella with all those little nubs eveywhere

neither of those have skeletons.  In fact I think leathers are just made up of poison, toxins, old tires and evil. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=jerry_doucette link=topic=3070.msg25511#msg25511 date=1347393134]

neither of those have skeletons.  In fact I think leathers are just made up of poison, toxins, old tires and evil.
[/quote]

Hahaha. Yea I know they dont have a skeleton, was just pointing out how it looks like the same as top of an umbrella leather almost with all those little things on top.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Maybe it is a plate... It would be neat if something that a year ago would have died within a week or so in my tank would now just sprout up on its own back behind all the rock.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
maybe its just a mushroom growing on an old dead coral skeleton?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
reefreak took a look, agrees it's not a mushroom, but had no idea...

I moved the rock it's on tonight and it had started to encrust on the adjacent rock, it left a slight fringe of whatever the hell this thing is on the rock...

Status
Not open for further replies.